Garden gate ' illusion ' mirror

Blocky71

Hey folks

I saw an idea on a garden website where a ' gate ' had been glued onto reflective backing so when it was mounted on the wall it gave the illusion of an open gate with another garden behind.

The reviews on quality were mixed and as it was an acrylic reflective backing, some people were getting a warped reflection with their products, one even saying it was like that one of those fairground mirrors!.

That coupled with its £180 price tag led me to me having a go myself with an old sliding wardrobe mirror that handily had safety film applied so if it does meet with an accident it will stay in one piece.

Here's a couple of pics of the end result.

image_zpsbsav5j25.jpeg

image_zpswq9r5o35.jpeg

image_zpsvvljmi46.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice work Chris, I've seen the window framed mirrors in gardens before but not a full gate setup. It creates a good illusion and (from the image at least), is very hard to see it isn't a real opening!

Must feel good to have created it yourself too. ;)

Wonder what the foxes will make of it!

Hey Stu

I was thinking of maybe doing a window too but will leave as is for now....

I'm pretty happy with the result but I don't mind telling you it was a pain to make.

I had to go to bnq 3 times for ' one more plank ' after fudging up my angles !....

No sign of those pesky foxes since thankfully, if that's what it was, I do still wonder.....

All the best matey

Thanks Yossu

There's things I'd of done differently, hindsight and all that but I'm pleased with the end result, I still have a couple of little finishes to make.

There's a few topics and 'how to' guides on " Pinterest" website that are helpful and I copied this gate from the primrose website.

My gate looks the best if you're stood to the left of it, it's not so effective when stood to the right so if you were positioning the gate project left of the middle of your wall / fence I'd suggest having it ' opening ' from the other side if you get my drift.....

They don't mention that anywhere........

Cheers chris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Ladies, Allow For Me To Discuss With You For A Moment The Joys Of Takeshi's Castle And All That Comes With It. You Are Listening To The Joys Of Takeshi's Castle.

The Evil "Count Takeshi" Is Facing Off Against The Heroic "General Lee" In This 1980s Japanese Gameshow. Can It Get Any Better Than This? "Yes Please!". AHHHHHH! The Show That Is Too Good To Be Known Takeshi's Castle!

..."Craig Charles" And "Johnathon Ross" Have Hosted The Heroic Japanese Gameshow Over The Past Ten Years. The Show Sees 100 Valiant Individuals Competing Alongside "General Lee" In Order To Vie For A Grand Prize!...

...WHAT IS IT?...

..."We Don't Know!" 

And That Is A Joy Of Takeshi's Castle...

Is It True That Watching Takeshi's Castle Can Cause One To Lose Over 100 Pounds Of Weight? "Yes Please!" I Can Say Yes To That! And So Can You If You Watch Takeshi's Castle Today.

Did You Know "Craig Charles" Claimed To Have A Dog Named "Malcolm"? Sounds Like A Hit To Us! That Man Is A Real Go-Getter!

I Did Not Realize That "Jerry Lewis" Enjoyed Watching Takeshi's Castle When He Was Younger. "WOW!". Did You Know That Takeshi Promises To Vow Revenge When The General Wins Battle?

..Is It True!..

..Yes It Is!..

And You Can See For Yourself By Viewing Takeshi's Castle For Yourself On Youtube And Watching The Valiant "General Lee" Attempt to Storm The Castle Of Count Takeshi!

"Honey, Fix The Wifi! I Need To Watch Six More Episodes!"