vft help

C88

I have a vft which grew a flower stalk, it flowered and then started to grow a new plant on the top of the stalk. Can anyone please tell me what to do with the new plant. The stalk is still growing from the main plant, the plant on the top of the stalk has new traps on it but has no roots.

Hey Bonny wee lass

I would get a take away plastic carton or alike, put a layer or two of sphagnum in it and soak it.

Then I'd snip the flower stalk as low down as possible then lay it horizontally into the sphagnum.

With any luck your 'plantlet' should develop some roots and can then be potted on. You may even get some more new plant babies.

You can use this method with just the flower stalk itself but I usually cut them into 2" segments if there's no babies already on them.

Just make sure the ' cut ' ends remain under the wet sphagnum.

I cover mine ( using the take away lid) and leave them somewhere bright but not in direct sun.

Good luck

To give the best chance of survival to the plant at the top, my advice would be NOT to cut the stalk (yet), but bend it over slightly and use something to pin the plant down against a pot of Sphagnum or (peat/Perlite).

The technique is called Serpentine Layering and keeps the plantlet connected until roots develop, at which point you can snip the main connection and be happy that it has a strong root system of its own.

• Like 1