Dionaea names seem like you can name what you want

Deltatango301

The trend is to name any Dionaea that defers from typical. Most of the 'cultivars' are nothing but sickly, deformed plants that should have been drowned at birth.

cultivar

(ā€œcultivated varietyā€) A cultivated plant that has one or more distinctive characteristics which make it different from other plants, characteristics which are preserved when the plant is propagated.

There are so many red forms and dentate forms now that they are indistinguishable when placed side by side. I think the time has come to give them a varietal name instead.

• Like 5

I agree that is not anything special (but I'm well known for not being a fan of VFT cultivars).

For the record though should you insist in spreading this plant: not 'Antares' but "Antares".Ā  Unless you want to go to the proces of making it a registered cultivar. Code says informal names between " " and registered cultivars between singles ' '.

• Like 5

I think I'm fairly well known for not being a fan of Dionaea "cultivars" too Marcel. I guess I'm in good company.

Ā 

The "Antares" looks really weedy and sick. I would have suspected some sort of insect infestation...

• Like 2

I agree that is not anything special (but I'm well known for not being a fan of VFT cultivars).

For the record though should you insist in spreading this plant: not 'Antares' but "Antares".Ā  Unless you want to go to the proces of making it a registered cultivar. Code says informal names between " " and registered cultivars between singles ' '.

To each his own and his way of seeing dionaea.
Edited by lucien01700