Perlite uk members help

wozzen

Hi, I know You are more expert of me, but in my growing conditions I prefer to use quartz sand that I buy in aquarium shops... If it is cheaper (as in my country, were there isn't perlite and so when arrives a bag it is really expensive) I'd use it... In my growing conditions, for vft, droseras, pinguiculas (grandiflora, chilensis) and cephalotus works better than perlite... For plants that needs fresh roots, like heliamphora, cephalotus and other pinguiculas (mexican, Poldinii, hirtiflora....) I use pots filled of river sand (for heliamphora and any chepalotus I envolve the roots with live sphagnum), with always 4-5 cm of water in the tray... so cephalotus grow well in direct sun and very dry conditions, where temperatures are frequently upper 40 degrees... When I cultivated them in peat-sand they don't grow well because the upper substrate were always completaly dry;-)

Thanks all went to my local Wilko this morning, just to see as I had to collect a few bits by chance there was 3 bags there 4.20 each. Took them to the tills all for £2.80, they didn't have anything marked down on the shelf so I edit. Say anything.

Happy re pot day x 3 this summer already

Argo I've not used it at all here I'll have a look around see what I can find

• Like 1

I've bought it cheap on Amazon before but unfortunately they won't ship it to me in Ireland from there anymore.  I now get mine from LBS and pay quite a bit of shipping for it.  No horticultural wholesaler over here sells it you see.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure If anyone has mentioned these guys but this is what I use

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261744070466&alt=web

£17.99 per 100l Including delivery

Edited by danthecpman