Polycarbonate greenhouses

Right basically im thinking of getting a small 4x6 greenhouse for the darlingtonia to free up some space. I'm looking at polycarbonate to try and take the intensity out of the sun. What are people's views?? Anyone had experience with this, I've heard of wind blowing poly panels out, going brittle etc but never owned one. Thoughts would be great ☺

Cheers

Edited by danthecpman

I have had a poly carb greenhouse for a year and a half now. Once i got over the problems with the installation diagrams, it went up fairly well apart from the frame screws being cheap and me over tightening an number of them. Its an 8 x 6  on its aluminium kerb and pinned to a concrete base. 

Initially I had problems with rattling window plates in the wind, but I sealed the frame and window, externally with clear silicone and not a murmer from them since. 

It has stood up to the winds we have had in the last eighteen months, without any problem with the door open and the door closed.

Anchoring the base is key (strangely enough) as any twisting of the frame (which is aluminium and as thin as my wallet) caused by the wind, can ping the windows. the window clips are good but you can do with a few more, hence the silicone.

I fitted an automatic window opener to it with no problems.

All in all although I would have liked a glass house it has been pretty good so far. The only problem i had being from a falling Staging, which knocked a window out but it was replaced with the original sheet, and that's something you couldn't do with a glass house.

Going brittle - no experience of that, but I would imagine that to replace a polycarb sheet inst too injurious to wallet or take much time. The sheets on mine purported to have a sun barrier on one side of the sheet to alleviate the problem, so make sure you install them the right way up.

It does reduce the suns intensity, but retains heat better than glass, as I don't grow specimen plants it isn't a problem for me and most of my Sarracenia plants make a reasonable colour. I have Darlingtonia in there and they seem happy enough

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply Steve, iv got plenty of clear silicone (for making aquariums) so should the panels rattle i'll remember to put some in. Yeah I had seen it on a greenhouse where the panels had gone yellow and really brittle so who knows probably could have been really old.

Regards

I bought a pretty budget polycarb one around a year and half ago and it's withstood a fair punishing from the wind, but I totally agree that a good helping of silicone is vital. I can't speak for longevity, but I haven't noticed any brittleness or weakness yet. So far i'm a fan of polycarb.

Hope it helps,

Ed