Darlingtonia Planter

Picavorus

I'm wanting to fill a ceramic planter for the doorstep with Darlingtonia, I'm wondering if I need to do anything else other than stand it in a tray of water, like I would if it was in a normal plant pot. There are holes in the bottom of the planter, and I intend to move it into the greenhouse in winter.

I would be tempted to seal up the holes in the planter using silicone or just line it with polythene...

You'll be forever topping up the tray otherwise as the darlings and the sphagnum prefer to be swamped.... It'll look nicer too not sat in a tray.. Once established you can just tip the planter to drain out old or stale water and refresh if need be....

I'd also have a go at growing in 100% live sphagnum. Once it settles in and starts growing it will look lush and keep the Cobras happy, it's also a good indicator of how wet the pot is , just top up the water when the sphagnum begins to dry....

What colour is the planter?, Cobras prefer cool roots so I would try and stick to a light colour that won't attract the sun too much.

These are only my suggestions and I'm no expert with Cobras, I've lost a few over the years but this is how I grow the one I still have and its happy.

Good luck whatever route you take, why not post up some pics of your project as you go...

Cheers blocky

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a big old sink I'm waiting to plant up with darlis so will put a pic up when it's done to compare, but this has inspired me to do a planter for the doorstep too ☺ so much planting so little time!

• Like 1