Why aren't there any open days in the East Midlands?

Vampiresrus

I've noticed that there seem to be plenty of carnivorous plant open days down south but why aren't there any in the East Midlands or a bit further up north? It's a bit of a bind travelling to far off locations (but usually well worth it) but putting it bluntly it does get a bit dull and boring looking at the same old collections and locales.  I know the social side of things makes up for the same old, same old but it would be nice if someone pulled a new meet out of the bag.

Is there anyone out there who might 'spice' up things and have an open day or a nice informal meet  with the chance of buying/swapping for us further up north ? Sometimes the journey is a bit of a bind and I would like to see some new blood on the scene for a change as well. I know there are collectors out there in my neck of the woods so maybe this less than subtle hint might make them spring into action.

Anyone?

• Like 1

The core of the CPS comittee seems to be down south, as are most of the meetings.  They had a meeting in Birmingham a few years ago and did a pretty poor job of actually letting anyone know (think hitchikers guide to the galaxy and planning documents in a draw labelled beware of the tiger).  If people want regional meetings basically it's up to individuals to arrange it.

Certainly for Nepenthes there seems to be little interest in meetings, the best (only) one is the Chester Zoo open day. (which btw is well worth a visit).

I joined the local orchid society as an alternative to the CPS meetings and some of the members also grow CP's.

I've noticed that there seem to be plenty of carnivorous plant open days down south but why aren't there any in the East Midlands or a bit further up north? It's a bit of a bind travelling to far off locations (but usually well worth it) but putting it bluntly it does get a bit dull and boring looking at the same old collections and locales.  I know the social side of things makes up for the same old, same old but it would be nice if someone pulled a new meet out of the bag.

Is there anyone out there who might 'spice' up things and have an open day or a nice informal meet  with the chance of buying/swapping for us further up north ? Sometimes the journey is a bit of a bind and I would like to see some new blood on the scene for a change as well. I know there are collectors out there in my neck of the woods so maybe this less than subtle hint might make them spring into action.

Anyone?

When is your open day then 

• Like 1

Hi

the reason we have few open days in the Midlands and further North is that members don't volunteer to hold one.  We can encourage but not force people.  

You can volunteer to hold one either this year or next.  The Society will advertise the event and help out with catering costs.  You don't need a huge collection because, as you say, the main attraction is meeting people and chatting.

We moved the end of season meeting from Wisley to Winterbourne Gardens in Birmingham and numbers attending have gradually increased to around 30 attending.

I also run a shared email service that enables participating members to have the emails of people in their area, share travel costs, meet up if they want to.  Only around 25% have signed up.

The other thing you can do is volunteer to help out at the Society's stand at the NEC where you can meet lots of people.  We have members who live within 10 miles of the NEC who don't volunteer their time.  We understand that the RHS is going to hold a flower show at Chatsworth House next year.  If we can persuade people to help out, the Society will be their too.

I and the rest of the committee would welcome suggestions from members on how we can increase membership in the midlands and further North.  You can contact me direct via our website at www.thecps.org.uk.

cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Mark

we did the Tatton Park show a couple of years ago and asked for volunteers to help set up and run the Society's stand.

We got no volunteers from any member who lived North of London.

In the end, members get out of the Society what they are prepared to put in.

cheers

Dennis

Welshy, i tried having an open day several years ago, the response was pathetic, so i cancelled it.  I think in the main most of the people who turn up to open days are sarracenia growers.

Chester Zoo open day is the one to go to for Nepenthes.

That said if any local growers want to pop round for a cup of tea and a poke around the greenhouse i'm open to it on a person by person basis.

The wanting to keep locations secret might be one point, we used to keep birds and we definately kept our location secret at that time as birds thefts are quite common.

I've noticed that there seem to be plenty of carnivorous plant open days down south but why aren't there any in the East Midlands or a bit further up north? It's a bit of a bind travelling to far off locations (but usually well worth it) but putting it bluntly it does get a bit dull and boring looking at the same old collections and locales. I know the social side of things makes up for the same old, same old but it would be nice if someone pulled a new meet out of the bag.

Is there anyone out there who might 'spice' up things and have an open day or a nice informal meet with the chance of buying/swapping for us further up north ? Sometimes the journey is a bit of a bind and I would like to see some new blood on the scene for a change as well. I know there are collectors out there in my neck of the woods so maybe this less than subtle hint might make them spring into action.

Anyone?

Next year I will be happy to hold a meet and swap here, if my plan to expand my collection goes to plan properly. I'm about 15miles from Manchester. However, the vast majority of my plants are young ones and I don't have a huge number unlike some. This year the gardens look like bomb sites, as I've just got a new greenhouse and with getting an allotment we have dead grass and mud everywhere from plant pots all over the lawns. Edited by Picavorus

I haven't got a large collection of plants and so I would be reluctant to even contemplate holding an open day but like Ada I am more than happy for people to get in touch to arrange to come round if they want to.

Dave

Thanks everyone for their input as I wanted to see if anyone was interested enough in coming around to our place for a nice carnivorous get together. Something gentle and nice and no being hassled by aggressive collectors who like to push you around because you are small fry!

My only problems are we'd have to have limited number of visitors, parking problems (not a lot and some potentially angry neighbours), a small-ish garden and fear of criticism of our collection! We are mainly flytraps and some sarracenia and by no means a national collection or anything. Just timid carnivorous plant collectors.

I just thought it was a shame that noone has an open day up North. I did think about August 6th or 7th this year and we are around Nottingham way if anyone wanted a location.

Edited by Vampiresrus

Hi

If those who just want to people to drop round by appointment want it, we could advertise their locations and email addresses on our website under events.

Contact me via the website (www.thecps.org.uk) if you are interested.

cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

I just thought it would be nice to have an independent open day while the weather and plants still looked good.

Anyone interested send me an message so I can get an idea of whether it is worthwhile me baking cakes, getting in beer and tidying up the garden!

• Like 1

Sadly no we don't grow nepethes but the beer and cakes are still on offer to anyone who might be interested in getting this open day going!

If there is anyone out there Midlands or otherwise who might like a trip out to Nottinghamshire to see a good collection of dionaea and some sarracenia then we are here. Bring plants to sell or swap and some friendly banter.

I am going for either the 6th or 7th August (tbc) so if anyone is interested that would be great. If not then I've only wasted typing time.