Hunting in North Wales?

There are P. vulgaris on The Great Orme visible from the road. I imagine there are lots of other spots for it, I know the Snowdonia and Anglesey areas better though. Never seen D. anglica in the wild but I 've heard there are some site in Ceredigion. Lots of rotundifolia round here though. 

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to be in the great Orme area at some point, so that might be a winner. Can you PM me the best areas to look?

I recently found some D. Intermedia in Sussex too, will post pics when I get back from Wales. 

Cheers,

Rob

Thank you. We were near Neath, although the exact location I would be unable to tell you unfortunately because we were taken there by some locals who we got talking to.

I got out to Llandudno today, and found the Pings pretty much straight away, growing in wet seeps at the side of the road. Very pleased to see them, but gutted to have missed the flowers by what looks likedays . 

Thanks for the pointers Mark! Is it possible to upload pictures here without using a hosting site?? I took some phone pics, left the good camera back home unfortunately. 

Edit for pics:

IMAG0079_zpsemg8fksi.jpg

IMAG0088_zpsj66xahku.jpg

IMAG0093_zpsfwyntfy2.jpg

IMAG0085_zpsaiv2yv7q.jpg

Edited by Jaicen
  • Like 1

Glad they were there! I would've been a bit embarrassed and sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase if they weren't!

I really like seeing them growing like that, straight out of wet rock or in just a little bit of organic matter.

Edited by Mark Long

Indeed, i'm not sure what it is.  The pings that look like they're growing out of  the rocks are actually in some sort of spongy, porous layer on top of the rock. I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe a sort of mossy lichen, or perhaps an aggregate washed down from above. 

It's actually quite spectacular, I went back and had another look before I left and I found a great many more plants. You can see where they are flowing down the hillside following the path of the seep where I guess the seeds get washed down the hill. I also found a lone flower, which made my day really.  I'll upload a pic or two from the second trip later. 

• Like 1

Yeah they really are little gems, I'm not sure if you've been to any of snowdonia but they really do grow in abundance there. I have cousins in Bethesda so get to spend a lot of time in the mountains

I've just come back from a break in Betws y Coed and hiked up Snowden. Knew CPs were to be found on Snowdon but wasn't actively looking for them. On the descent down The Rhyd Ddu path, I suddenly spotted these bright green P. vulgaris alongside the path in abundance..

IMG_20160726_165405_zpsgcjrxrry.jpg

IMG_20160726_165416_zpsnovdt0ga.jpg

IMG_20160726_165434_zpsjavn9fw4.jpg

Shortly after these, I kept spotting isolated patches of D. rotundifolia all over the place as well.

IMG_20160726_165547_zps7mzzvwd0.jpg

Brilliant! I like to see them growing with Drosera, that's cool. The shot of the plants near the stream is particularly good.  Are they in a slightly shaded position? It looks like they haven't begun flowering yet, whereas those I found at Llandudno were all but finished.

Brilliant! I like to see them growing with Drosera, that's cool. The shot of the plants near the stream is particularly good. Are they in a slightly shaded position? It looks like they haven't begun flowering yet, whereas those I found at Llandudno were all but finished.

I agree, is great to see them wild and a whole bank of them thriving, rather than an odd specimen.

Not shaded as far as I could see - was quite an open position, with the stream following alongside the path.

The Pings appeared to have flowered as I spotted a few spent heads (even some seed, but nothing to collect with!). The Drosera had flower stalks that appeared to have just finished (or had a couple more flowers to open.)

• 2 weeks later...