Seramis

SoLongFairWell

Has anyone tried growing Mexican Pings in pure Seramis as an entirely aggregate media? Or a mix of it and something else?

Seramis is expanded clay granules used in orchid and hydroponic cultivation.

I currently use a mix of equal parts sand, peat, perlite and dust-free cat litter but am concerned it may be too wet as my die-off rates are too high for my liking.

I just feel that Seramis would be more open, less compact and better draining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried a mix with Seramis. But it's really recent, so I can't tell much about the results (ok so far, though).

1 perlite, 1 pumice, 1 pouzzolane, 1 Seramis, 1 calcareous sand + calcareous sand surfacing

pouzzolane

Hi Richard, I could provide this to you, but the trouble is that it's really heavy so you'll pay more for the shipping...

Thanks for the offer but the cost of the shipping is the problem. It's not essential to growing Pings so I'll pass this time. Thanks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience pings grows well in an unicum mineral media... I know that some growers cultivate plants (p. hirtiflora, mexican pings) in pure seramis... I use only river sand for all mexicans, p. poldinii, p. corsica, p. hirtiflora, p. grandiflora...  they grows well... here in Italy many pinguiculas growers cultivate them in pure "lapillo" (solid vulcanic lava) that is used for bonsai cultivation.. the only problem is to crush it if the pieces are too big, but all are happy of this media... and it isn't expensive :Laie_98: I hope this message can help You... good luck

I'd be very interested to know how it goes Richard I'm interested in trying Seramis.  I've got mine currently (x Tina, x Sethos, Agnata and Esserina) in a mix of perlite (about 70-80%) and aquarium sand and peat (about 10% each).  They all seem fine.  Just added a moctezumae as well so I'll see how that goes as it recovers from in EU wide journey.  I'm tempted to add eggshell to the top layer as well to increase the pH slightly.

• Like 1