Identifying Pinguicula Gypsicola

mosesobe1

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum I do have a collection of a nice few CP's and a few Pings.

Just received two Pings from a seller that claims they are Gypsicola and Ehlersiae could anyone please ID them thank you.

IMG 5123

IMG 5120

IMG 5121

IMG 5073

IMG 5124

IMG 5118

IMG 5119

Edited by mosesobe1

Hi, welcome to the forums, I hope you find it an enjoyable an useful experience :smile:  The plant in the first pictures with long slender leaves are your gypsicola, so the other must be the ehlersiae although the pictures aren't that clear so it's difficult to say for certain that it isn't something else until it flowers.

Hi, welcome to the forums, I hope you find it an enjoyable an useful experience :smile:  The plant in the first pictures with long slender leaves are your gypsicola, so the other must be the ehlersiae although the pictures aren't that clear so it's difficult to say for certain that it isn't something else until it flowers.

Tank you Gary I did know which one he catorgorized as Gypsicola my question is if it really looks like Gypsicola or maybe it's MOCTEZUMAE,  HETEROPHYLLA or MEDUSINA would you be able to tell?

ah, sorry, jumped to wrong conclusion.  Now you mention it and I take a closer look the 'gypsicola' might look a bit more like my moctezuma than my gypsicola.  Your plants will still be acclimatising themselves to your conditions I suppose but I'd expect the gypsicola to be more 'dewy'.  I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of them both side by side. Unfortunately I haven't grown heterophylla or medusina (yet, open to offers if anybody has any they need to get rid of :wink: ).  I wouldn't like to stick my neck out about the ehlersiae as I always find that species difficult to identify without flowers.

ah, sorry, jumped to wrong conclusion.  Now you mention it and I take a closer look the 'gypsicola' might look a bit more like my moctezuma than my gypsicola.  Your plants will still be acclimatising themselves to your conditions I suppose but I'd expect the gypsicola to be more 'dewy'.  I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of them both side by side. Unfortunately I haven't grown heterophylla or medusina (yet, open to offers if anybody has any they need to get rid of :wink: ).  I wouldn't like to stick my neck out about the ehlersiae as I always find that species difficult to identify without flowers.

Okay Thank you so much!

Hi, sorry it took so long (not quite familiar with new laptop yet) but here's the promised picture of my moctezuma (left) and gypsicola (right).  The plant I know as gypsicola is much more 'dewy' than my moctezuma as you can hopefully see here. In fact the gypsicola is almost Drosera-like. 

P%20moct%20gyps%202.jpg

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

Hi, sorry it took so long (not quite familiar with new laptop yet) but here's the promised picture of my moctezuma (left) and gypsicola (right).  The plant I know as gypsicola is much more 'dewy' than my moctezuma as you can hopefully see here. In fact the gypsicola is almost Drosera-like. 

P%20moct%20gyps%202.jpg

Thank you so much for the Pictures they look stunning. from these pictures I would say mine is a Gypsicola from what it looks like in the last few days, could you please tell me your growing system?

They are in mostly mineral compost made up of small amounts of peat/coir (10-15%-ish) with the remainder being made up of equal quantities of non-clumping cat litter (a fired clay product) similar to seramis I think, small grade pumice, perlite, a bit of sand or whatever other fine grade non-organic material is lying around.

I water (rain water only) into the tray to a depth of about 1.5cm, wait till that's been soaked up or evaporated before adding more.

I sometimes add a tiny amount of dolomitic lime to my Ping mix. Gypsicola grows in regions with gypsum in the local substrata (hence its name).  So I add a bit of crushed gypsum which I can obtain easily from my workplace.

My plants do get some direct sunlight for part of the day but are mostly in bright but shaded conditions.

I must say that gypsicola is one of my favourite Mexican Pings and I wish you well with your plant. Happy growing.

Edited by Gaz