Has anyone else got tropical ants?

manders

Noticed a few in my greenhouse a few years ago and thought they had died out, then yesterday i saw a couple runniing around, theres not many and they dont seem to do any harm, just curious if anyone else has them?

are you sure they are not just young ants .are they normal black colour

jim

young ants are the same size as adults. the larva stage is where they do the growing. At this stage they are not moving around but are laid out in nurseries and dependent on the adults. They look like grubs and nothing like the adult. When they have grown to the size of adults or bigger then they change to a pupa, at which stage they take on the shape of full size adults. so the new ants start off full size.

Edited by mantrid

young ants are the same size as adults. the larva stage is where they do the growing. At this stage they are not moving around but are laid out in nurseries and dependent on the adults. They look like grubs and nothing like the adult. When they have grown to the size of adults or bigger then they change to a pupa, at which stage they take on the shape of full size adults. so the new ants start off full size.

thank you for the information

jim

I'm not sure what tropical ants are but I live in southern California and my yard only has these Itty bitty ants. Not standard size ones haha. Like you said they're almost invisible unless there's a bunch or you're looking closely. I'll take a picture next time I see them (probably tomorrow lol)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I haven't seen them personally, but I remember a few days ago one of my sisters who is fond of maintaining a tropical garden had faced similar types of tropical ants in her garden area. There are many ways to get rid of such ants like by using diatomaceous earth oil, or Neem oil etc.. But this works for a limited time duration. To get rid of such ants permanently one must contact with the pest control service NYC or any other nearby pest agency.

• 2 weeks later...