Dracunculus vulgaris

Richard

Great result Richard, mine's been in a pot since we moved house and it looks like it just died. I'll see if I can sneak it into the Missus flower bed when she's not looking.

• Like 1

Gaz, this is my 7th attempt at this plant. All previous attempts have been in pots and have failed miserably!

I'm really surprised at how hardy this plant is. I planted the tuber last October and due to the mild winter it had sprouted a shoot by mid December. The hard frosts then arrived and I was certain all the soft growth would be killed back but I didn't even get so much as a blackened leaf tip.

Stick it in the garden, the smell only lasts the one day!

• 3 years later...

Is dranunculis vulgaris carnivorous? Some people don't seem to believe it is? I grew a few from bulbs. Mine that is flowering has a big thing below the flower that looks like an Adams apple or a man's throat. I wonder if that's where the flies get trapped?

PHOTO_20200530_104401.jpg

Edited by gardener105

14 minutes ago, gardener105 said:

Is dranunculis vulgaris carnivorous? Some people don't seem to believe it is? I grew a few from bulbs. Mine that is flowering has a big thing below the flower that looks like an Adams apple or a man's throat. I wonder if that's where the flies get trapped?

Many aroids temporarily trap insects in order to shower them with pollen, but none are carnivorous.

2 hours ago, Rob-Rah said:

The nastiest scent so far I have found in Araceae is Arum dioscorides!

That's interesting - I've grown that plant in the past but never managed to get a sniff of it! I've had Amorphophallus albus and sauromatum venosum doing their thing nearby each other at the same time this morning. Smelt like someone had used a stagnant pond as a toilet!