Brexit or stay in, consequences for our plants

Now to bore everyone pooless.

I haven't seen any discussions on this but are people sleep walking into trouble inthe coming referendum ?

Have growers realised what will happen to buying plants from Europe in the event of leaving the EU ? Jersey isn't in the EU and when a well known orchid grower comes over to Chelsea, they have any amount of problems with CITIES documents. Visitors to Jersey bring back Phaelenopsis orchids brught in B & Q . Strickly speaking, they need CITIES documents for these but customs tun a blind eye.

Plants that are CITIES 1 and CITIES 2 will need import documents if we leave the EU.

If we want to go to the EEE, it won't be easy to bring plants back.

Just a few thoughts.

Overall we must leave to get our country back, of cause I am in the over 70's born in the Smoke

At the beginning of WW2, so most of us probably see it this way. The younger population under

45 I would say want to stay in. I think the ones who will make the diffrence in the vote is the females.

Its bad enough now,just tell the post office you're trying to send a plant now and see what response you get.

so how would leaving affect that?   if you tell the truth.

ada

We wont get our country back, its a fantasy. We have to trade with Europe to maintain our standard of living and any future negotiated deal with Europe, which we will have to do, will give us less control than we have now.

I know the old folks still hanker for the days of empire, but we need to be realistic.

Don't get brain washed by politicians they don't care which way it goes

They still get their salary and expenses .

What happens when Turkey gets the go ahead to come to Europe.

Because in the next 2 years they will be turning the screws on

The EU to trade with the displaced population from the Middle East

They always said that WW3 would be started by the Middle East

Edited by Deltatango301

well deltatango301 I have to agree with you but than again I was born in the 50s so I'm a real old one

regards

jim

I've been wondering this for some time; surprsied it hasn't been covered already here! And it's why I've been getting some plants from the EU quickly in case there ends up being a brexit.

I'm firmly on the stay side. If not for our trade, but for our environment. Despite its flaws, the EU habitats directive is a powerful force for protecting our sensitive habitats. In the recent new manifesto produced by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs of Northern Ireland, despressingly, not one mention is made about our landscape, habitats, and protected species, but is full of how we can develop the countryside for people. If we leave the EU, our biodiversity is going to get shanked.

• Like 1

If we leave, we are on our own. 

Cites, trade restrictions, import/export duties to/from Europe.  The only way around that is a trade deal with the EU, whereby we have to sign up to pretty much whatever they want.  So we throw away what influence we have, gain nothing in return and have to go back cap in hand and get a worse deal.

Thats the reality, we would be a relatively small inconsequential country dealing with the likes of USA / China / SE asia and the EU and hoping they are going to be nice to us...

Sure if you want to be a minnow in sea of sharks, lets leave, we'll see what happens.  If you think it isnt shark eat shark in this world look at the BP experience in the USA, or some of the trade deals the US has tried to impose on the EU.  If it wasnt for the EU the US would have screwed us over a dozen times over.

• Like 2

Although I say leave and if it happened I think it would be the the start of the break up

Of the Europe, but I think we will stay in by a narrow margin.

BTW what if Donald Duck wins, don't go there

Edited by Deltatango301

I've been wondering this for some time; surprsied it hasn't been covered already here! And it's why I've been getting some plants from the EU quickly in case there ends up being a brexit.

I'm firmly on the stay side. If not for our trade, but for our environment. Despite its flaws, the EU habitats directive is a powerful force for protecting our sensitive habitats. In the recent new manifesto produced by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs of Northern Ireland, despressingly, not one mention is made about our landscape, habitats, and protected species, but is full of how we can develop the countryside for people. If we leave the EU, our biodiversity is going to get shanked.

Yes spot on James, it wasn't so long ago the Thatcher Government was resisting the Bathing Water Directive so industry could keep dumping shite into our seas. Whether you like it or not EU legislation has cleaned up our industry significantly, vast reductions in things like carbon, SO2 and VOC emissions, and much tighter protection for rare species and habitats.

As a quick straw poll, that's 7 votes to stay in, 4 votes to leave. Roughtly what the opinion polls are saying. Interesting.

I never said I was voting to stay in, I'm undecided. Just saying EU legislation on the environment is better than our domestic legislation and forced the Government to get its act together. If only the EU would issue a green belt directive to stop Cameron from building houses all over it

We wont get our country back, its a fantasy. We have to trade with Europe to maintain our standard of living and any future negotiated deal with Europe, which we will have to do, will give us less control than we have now.

I know the old folks still hanker for the days of empire, but we need to be realistic.

I don't beleive that anyone has suggested getting the 'Empire' back.

You need to remember that there are two faces to 'Europe'

The EEA - The free trade element

The EU - The project to create a single European state.

I don't believe that this country will ever agree to the second set of goals (The EU) and so we should just get out of the way of those (countries) that do.

Even in the worse case scenarios painted for leaving, I don't believe that easy trade in plants even enters my 'radar' when considering The EU.

I don't beleive that anyone has suggested getting the 'Empire' back

Some folks are thinking as though we still have one, or at least the weight of influence that went with it.

In all seriousness though, a lot of people seem to be deciding on the basis of immigration, thats the one thing that wont, in all probability, in the long run, be changed by being in or out.

Edited by manders
  • Like 1

Like Ada said - if people don't tell the truth about what's in the parcel, plants will still be sent to and from Europe.

No-one opens them to check.

It's been happening for many years with the USA - lots of people are illegally trading plants with growers over there.

For me, it would have horrible effects. If trading of plants got harder within the EU I would lose 2/3 of my business, and would also effect every other business selling orchids and carnivorous plants. For me operating at 2/3 would mean I would have to seriously cut down my business. In my opinion I would rather have my plants than have not having the EU dictating us. I just think it's my hobby and I care so much about it and don't want it to be impossible to get a hold of something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Foriegn affairs select committee report, probably the least biased review you are likely to find.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/foreign-affairs-committee/inquiries1/parliament-2015/eu-membership-foreign-policy/

But lets face it, stupid arguments about immigration and taking back our sovereignty aside, nobody has a clue whether well be better in or out... It's a gamble either way.