First time flowering help please.

Swizzy

Hi my Cephalotus is flowering as you know by the title. I am just not sure what to do about it as it's my first time with them. It has about 6 flower stalks on it. I would like to get seeds from it if it's possible. Do they self pollinate? Plus I only have one Cephalotus, I am not sure if you need a different Ceph? Is it best to cut some flower stalks off like a Venus Fly Trap? Thanks for any help you can give!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Swizzy

Yours is way ahead of mine, no sign of any flowers on any of mine yet.

Yes your plant will self pollinate if it isn't pollinated naturally. As the flower comes to the end of its life it'll shrivel up and this is when the self pollinating happens I think.

You can get a small soft paint brush and do some pollination yourself once the pollen is ripe, just dab each flower in turn with the brush.

There's no reason to cut any stalks off if you desire the seeds, most growers only cut them if they don't want the seeds.

Once pollinated the flower will close up and gradually the ' bud ' will swell till it splits and spills out its seeds. This takes a while.

The seeds are very light and will easily blow away unless your careful, some put paper bags or alike over the seed pods just as they are going to open to collect the seed.

In my limited experience, growing the seeds is painfully slow.

Cheers blocky

• Like 1

My ceph flowered for the first time last year and I just left them to do there own thing. I collected the seed and sowed it on a peat/perlite mix and just left it over the winter and now quite a few of the seeds have germinated.

As said previously it is probably quicker to get plants from leaf pullings but I just liked the idea of seeing if I could get any to germinate and to see what I got from it.

Dave

Edited by 3Star