Sickly Sarrencenia

cgarry

Some of my Sarracenia are looking very sickly and I was hoping somebody on here can suggest the cause and even better the cure.  A few weeks back I found that I had an aphid attack on my VFTs and so I treated all of the plants in the greenhouse to a good spray with Provado.  This sorted out the VFTs nicely, but I now have this issue with a number of my Sarrecenia which doe not seem to be improving with time.

Here are some pics of some affected Flavas:

26930493862_ba4ca84cf9_b.jpg

26419131914_8cd926c079_b.jpg

26956426941_6b75534c78_b.jpg

This last pot has 2 growing points in it.  The growing point at the back of the photo is fine, the one at the front is affected.

27024513955_fafc7c708c_b.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

I saw some Aphids on a couple of VFTs, but I have not seen any on my Sarracenia.  I have checked the sickly ones with a magnifying glass but have not spotted any obvious pests.

Yes they were all repotted over the winter, which was quite a major job.

This is actually something of a recovery year after many years of neglect, basically they were ignored except for keeping them watered for 6 or 7 years.  The pots were all extremely overcrowded with many of the pots splitting open.  For each plant I selected the best growing point any potted it into a new pot with new media.

I thought so.     It looks to me like the peat you have used has some additives in it.  some suppliers do mix compost with fertilizer in the peat to save on wasteage.

This can be very haphazard and localised.Which means if you are unlucky all your peat can be infected if you like or just part of the bag can be.

The type of growth you plants are displaying are typical of this,sometimes they go all corkscrew like as well.

Sometimes this problem rights itself like in your last photo,when most of the nutrients have been absorbed by the plant and the initial rush of fertilizer has been used up,causing the distorted growth.

Other times with a more serious fertilizer problem,it can leach out of the soil into the water trays and burn all the roots off at the water level if you just keep topping the water level up.

You could try flushing all the pots with fresh water out on the garden and emptying the water from the trays and refilling.

I have had this happen twice,if you leave them as they are now and its only a mild dose of fertilizer you should be O.K

If its a bad dose,the plants will look O.K for a while then they will seem alright but just not quite right,if you know what i mean.

This is when the roots have been burnt by the build up in the water trays and have started to turn black and rot.

hope this helps,

ada

Thanks ada, that is a great help.

I used Clover branded Irish Moss Peat as it was available locally and I did not find any bad things said about using it for carnivorous plants on the web.

I shall try flushing the affected pots and emptying the water from the trays.

Cheers,

Chris