Sign in to follow this  
nadja77

Silicone fumes in terrarium

I recently finished my new highland terrarium. It was quite a labour intensive project but I am about to put the last finishing touches on it. Finally get to grow again!

What I am worried about is the fumes that I get from the silicone I have used to create the background and props. The project has been curing for the past week but still smells quite strongly of silicone if I keep the doors closed for a while. I have put a few of my neps inside but I am not sure if the fumes are toxic for the plants so I am reluctant to put the remainder in it, too. I have googled this without much success. Does anyone have experience with this and knows whether it is safe to put plants in it while the silicone is still curing?

IMG_2366.jpg

hi

what silicon did you use ie  ordinary bog standard or aquarium silicon

regards

tatter

Hi Tatter,

I have used HA6 marine standard silicone because it does not contain any oils or toxins.

I'll be using some HA6 on the weekend as it happens. Is it the usual acetic acid smell that you're noticing? Have you tried spraying the silicone with some water to wash off any residual acetic acid? Acetic acid will linger for quite a while because it's not particularly volatile, so a quick wash might help but this is just a guess.

No idea if the fumes are harmful to plants I'm afraid.

Edited by Mark Long

Yes it's that vinegary smell. It's particularly nasty when it's being applied. Brought tears to my eyes lol. I did rinse the background briefly when I thought it had cured. I think I might just give it another rinse and see if that gets rid of the fumes. I am just hoping that I was not sent old stuff which will not cure properly.

Keep it ventilated, with fans, and the smell should ware off after a while.

I used Aquarium silicone in my terrarium, with no ill affects on plants of any kind.

I don't remember the exact type, just that it was meant for aquariums.

I used both black, clear and white, depending on which application I needed.

Here is an image from 07/2015.

Sorry, don't have updated images...

2015-07-24-1.jpg

Edited by YaronR

hi

should be ok  smell will go eventually I usually smooth down with damp kitchen towel (paper) .vinegar smell should go after couple of days

regards

tatter

Keep it ventilated, with fans, and the smell should ware off after a while.
I used Aquarium silicone in my terrarium, with no ill affects on plants of any kind.
I don't remember the exact type, just that it was meant for aquariums.
I used both black, clear and white, depending on which application I needed.

I have a fan running and the doors open during the day to allow for ventilation. Glad to hear that your plants did not seem to mind the fumes. The ones that are currently in there seem to do well also. So, in a few days, I will put the others in the tank as well. Nice looking setup BTW. I like the little spotlight on the 'main character'. It must be something special.

Thanks Tatter. I keep it well ventilated. I guess I just have to be a little more patient.

every time i get a new aquarium, i put it in the bathtub and fill it up with hot water and diluted liquid antibacterial hand soap and then let it sit for several hours. this seems to get rid of the silicone smell.