Sign in to follow this  
DBee

Dehumidifier Water

I think the condensing process picks up impurities from the surrounding air and some trace metals from the condensing parts of the machine which is why the manufacturers advise to not drink the stuff.  For CPs you'd need to test the water with a CF meter to check what levels of dissolved solids it contains if you wanted to be absolutely certain it was safe to use. That's not to say it wouldn't be OK, I just think it would be better to be safe than sorry.  Also some CPs might be less picky than others, I'd think Pings might be OK but I wouldn't want to risk my other plants.

When I was trying to grow cacti and CPs in the same greenhouse I used a dehumidifier during the winter. I had plenty of rain water so I didn't need to use the condensed water so I chucked it but I would have thought it would be a slow process to get a worthwhile amount of water this way, especially during summer (or the months between June and September if summer never actually materialises). :l_sunny:

Having said all that, if your plants are at risk of dying because they're drying out and you've no rain, distilled or RO water available then your dehumidifier water or even tap water will stop their demise in the short term. You can always flush out the pots later when you have rain water or one of the other alternatives.  I don't know what setup you have up there but perhaps you could get a water butt to collect some good old Yorkshire rain if you don't already have one.  :rainingsmile:

Good luck and don't forget to report back to the forum if you try it.

I tested the ' waste' water that came out of the portable aircon units at work with a tds metre and as far as the ' total dissolved solids' we're concerned it was ' safe '.

It's no guarantee though that the water doesn't contain something else nasty that the TDS metre doesn't test for...

I never used any though as it was just going to be in case of a drought in my water butts, which thankfully didn't happen.

I did stay at a place in Spain where the plants on the balcony were watered regularly with the ' condensate ' from the air con units and they were fine, I'm not sure the 'waste' from a humidifier would be the same as from an aircon unit though.....

I guess if this is something you are considering then the best course of action would be to test it on a single plant, ideally one you can obviously live without if the tests don't prove a success.

Good luck DBee

P.s maybe there's another solution?, what are your issues with normal rain water collection?

Cheers blocky

This water should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about contaminants.Ordinary rainwater will pick up all sorts of rubbish and that is OK

I currently have two full butts of beautiful rainwater, but we have a very damp cellar in which we run a dehumidifier 24/7. I discard approx 3 pints of water per day from this, and it seems such a waste. If I run short, it would be nice to know I have a backup. Of course, if my butts have run dry, then maybe the cellar will too! Your advice is, as usual, much appreciated.