Poor UK weather taking a toll on my plants

I'm starting to get a little worried about my plants, we are in May now and still no signs of warmer better weather for the UK. Supposedly a heat wave coming next week, yeah right...

Its been an awful winter/year so far in the UK with a constant wind blowing and cold temperatures, and of course very little sun. Its averaging on 10c through the day where i am and dropping to 2c through the night.

I dont know about others but my plants are looking awful, most look like they havent even come out of dormancy, and those that have tried to send up new growth have had the tips turn brown presumably from the cold. Even my hardy sarracenias which i grow outside all year round are looking terrible and are only just starting to show signs of new growth. I'm getting seriously worried because if we dont get some decent weather soon they look like they are going to croak it!

I managed to bring some Drosera inside under lights earlier this year and out of my entire collection that is all i have that looks anything like decent.

How are others coping with this terrible weather?

Get used to it in the U.K     we had really hard frosts all last week too.

The plants will make up for lost time,in a month or two you will have forgotten all about the bad weather up to now.

• Like 1

Thanks ada, i hope you are right. I know we always have bad weather in the UK but this year has got to be one of the worst. I cant remember it ever being this cold in May and my plants are usually well on with their growth by now.

We had a very mild period before Xmas but since then it seems that it has been cold for ever ! But even with this recent cold spell my sarracenia have put up lots of flowers, some of which have now opened, there are lots of pitchers also being put up with a purpurea and an oreophila being the first to open and my cepholotus and sarracenia seed is germinating. On top of this it is forecast to hit 20 degrees this weekend !

So as Ada says give it a bit of time and all this cold weather will be a dim and distant memory.

Dave

That's the thing with greenhouse growing - sunny and 10c outside is much warmer than 15C and cloudy when the sun gains strength.

We had about 15 degs C outside today, and it was 41 degs C in the greenhouse! The wife was all set to spend the afternoon in there with a deck chair and book!

Most of mine have only just started opening flowers too, you'll also be pleased to know that i was at PJ plants nursery yesterday and their plants are pretty much the same stage as mine (maybe a week ahead) but Paul keeps his under much bigger polytunnel's than I have, mines a small greenhouse so heat loss is higher. However, I do have one plant that is just going for it, see below. I'm actually really impressed with it, but its by far my fastest emerging one. I'd say it was about 2-3 weeks in front of my others.

20160504_125107_zpsyaah8gr4.jpg

and this wee fella just makes me chuckle: (yes thats a flower)

20160504_125048_zpsvfutpj0e.jpg

Weather this year has been more erratic than I've known. My Sarracenias and dionaea are only just coming up, no sight of flowers yet on my mature plants but they are coming through. I've a couple of buds on some droseras but others are only just starting to wake up. A few weeks ago I was starting to get worried, but much happier now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well most of mine have started to put up flowers in the last week from the short laughable "heatwave" we had :laugh2: . Still very little going on with pitcher growth, only a couple of mine are sending up new ones so i hope something happens soon otherwise i will just have a pond of flowers.

IMG_20160523_172436_zpsommvcqnk.jpg

IMG_20160523_172345_zpsc8kfsc6p.jpg

I've also noticed a couple plants are showing burn symptons on the new growth which is somewhat alarming. They will send up what look like perfectly normal pitchers and just as they start to develop heads they will turn brown and die. I'm hoping its just wind burn because its been pretty bad here coupled with cold temperatures in the evening but i cant be sure as its not affected all the plants, some plants are perfectly healthy (just slow).