Seed grown sarracenia

Some of my seed grown #sarracenia...young and old.

S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White'

Message_1460655339662_zpszxqm1eer.jpg

S. 'Leigha Simone'

20160415_124706_zpstg7zcbe1.jpg

S. 'Leigha Simone' sibling

IMG_20160412_133652_zps1lzzsfqh.jpg

Seed grown flava

20160414_120523_zpszkgj4ms9.jpg

S. 'Orange Fire' x flava var ornata

Message_1460655608885_zpssdphqht4.jpg

Seed grown flavas

IMG_20160416_165444_zpsdst4pfm5.jpg

S. Moorei-Pinkish Top x areolata giant

IMG_20160415_161406_zpsmfgs4zf3.jpg

S. "Karsyn Elise"

IMG_20160415_142912_zpsjchguf0g.jpg

S. 'Leah Wilkerson' OP seedling

2016-04-17_23.08.15_zps1lv4q6i0.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not jealous.

No, really, I'm not.

Honest, I mean it, I'm not the slightest bit jealous.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!!! I'm jealous!!!!!

I've been trying for a few months now to grown some Sarras from seed, and haven't had a single one germinate yet. Getting very frustrated with the whole thing. Yours look superb, wish I could do the same!

Thanks for posting the pics. Think I need to go and give those seeds a good talking to!

• Like 1

Thanks! What's the method you're using?

Sprinkle the seeds on moist sphagnum moss peat, and leave outside over the winter.

They were in a plastic growwhouse for most of the winter, then got moved into my new greenhouse yesterday. If you look at the third picture in that post, you'll see the seed trays. They are now in a sunny position, whereas before they were at the other end of the garden, where they didn't really get much sun. Not sure that makes a big difference, as we didn't have much sun up until this week!

I did this to a load of mixed Sarra seeds at the beginning of the winter, and some more about two months ago. I also did some Drosera seeds a month or more back, but they haven't done anything either.

Any ideas? Thanks

• Like 1

I'm not jealous.

No, really, I'm not.

Honest, I mean it, I'm not the slightest bit jealous.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!!! I'm jealous!!!!!

I've been trying for a few months now to grown some Sarras from seed, and haven't had a single one germinate yet. Getting very frustrated with the whole thing. Yours look superb, wish I could do the same!

Thanks for posting the pics. Think I need to go and give those seeds a good talking to!

A little bit early for germination just yet. Any time soon, though.

• Like 1

Try doing a fridge stray...its more controlled and you get better results. Just put the seeds on a moist paper towel, put the paper towel in a baggie and leave in the fridge for 6 weeks. Take out and plant like usual. That's it:).

Bit late now unfortunately. Can't really pick the seeds off the peat. They did get pretty cold outside over the winter, so I would have though that would have been enough.

A little bit early for germination just yet. Any time soon, though.

I keep telling myself to be patient, but people keep posting these beautiful pictures of sprouting plants, and I get restless!

I don't really have anything to lose by being patient, as it's only going to cost me a bit of rainwater to keep them wet, it's just very frustrating.

I got some other seeds the other day. These were Drosera tokaiensis and venusta, which I scattered on some peat and sprayed until it was moist. They are sitting on a sunny windowsill, where I'm keeping an eye on them to make sure they stay moist. Do you reckon that's OK, or do I need to do anything different? I would like to get something to germinate!

Thanks to both of you.

• Like 1

They should be fine. Drosera seeds can take a while to germinate.

"A while" being? Just want to know at what stage I can justify being impatient!

Also, do I keep them indoors permanently? Drosera seem to be a bit of a variable species, with some being better indoors, and some outdoors. These two seemed to be indoor ones, but I'm not sure. Also, even indoor ones might do well in the greenhouse during the summer. Any advice welcome.

Thanks again

I've had them take months to germinate. I grow both of the seed you're terminating outdoors and bring them in during the winter.

OK, thanks for the encouragement. As I said, I don't have a lot to lose by leaving them there. It's just frustrating for the impatient!

• Like 1

There's a saying Yossu that is " a watched kettle never boils"........

You need to keep the soil moist but other than that and a decent winter drop in temp that's about it.

I've always tried to put my seeds out of sight so I'm not checking them every day.

If they've had a few weeks of cold weather and been kept moist they'll sprout at some point as long as they were viable to begin with.

I've just found two new ceph seedlings have sprouted, these are in a seed tray I sowed in 2014 so have taken 2 winters to sprout .

I have found growing anything from seed ( apart from sunflowers !)is painfully slow.

I'll only be doing it in the future in hope of breeding a fabulous new hybrid, ha !

• Like 1

Noticed the first sarracenia seeds germinating yesterday.

ME TOO!!

As you can tell, I'm childishly excited about this! I still have to get them big enough to transplant, and then grow them on, but at least something is finally happening.

I'm wondering if it's worth thinning them out now, rather than waiting until they are seedlings. When I scattered them on the peat, I was a little more enthusiastic than I probably should have been, and they are quite densely spread. Is it worth picking some off and putting them in another container? Largely depends on what kind of germination rate I can expect. If it's only 25% then they'll be OK. If it's 100%, I'm going to have a hard job splitting them when they grow.

Any comments?