Mike King's open day June 11th 2016

Mike King

Hi everyone,

Some will already know, but my open day will be on Saturday, 11th of June at 12 noon.

As usual, you will be be welcome to sell, swap and trade and also there will be light refreshments.

As last time, please let me know if you are coming and we will get the food in etc. There will be many plants here on offer and I have a few bags of the pine bark, perlite and a couple of bales of peat needing homes to save me moving them!

This could be the last open day at our current address so it is unclear whether the autumn open day in October is going to be here or at the new place!

The highlights this year will be 1st and 2nd year trial plants in the peat free mix and one can notice the difference already.

Furthermore, the collection is more diverse year on year as I have been actively collecting myself!

I hope to see many of you here!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent! We also have 5 from Germany and 2 from Italy too. This year, you can see how great the plants look in he peat free mix. It will be great to see you too, Andy as I think it must be more than 5 years!

All,

I am a relative newcomer to this hobby, having been growing Sarracenia for about 6 to 7 years now. I have never been to an open day before; the closest I've got was a visit to PJ plants in Herefordshire which I really enjoyed, so I would very much like to attend the open day and pick up some tips!

What I would like to know is what is the typical format of the day, and is bringing plants to sell/swap expected? As I am developing/growing my collection, I do not currently have what you might call "surplus" clones to trade, but I would definitely be keen to make some purchases.

Chris.

Hi Chris

The format is get there at around twelve and spend the next couple of hours gawping at Mike's collection and wondering why you are bothering and then, more than likely, spend a fortune on plants.

It isn't necessary for you to bring plants along to sell or swap but there will be other growers there who will bring spare plants for sale and obviously Mike will have plenty on offer.

When I first attended I was a little bit apprehensive but everybody is really friendly and you can certainly get plenty of good advice and you will definitely be impressed with Mike's collection.

I will be there so please feel free to come up and say hello.

regards

Dave

Chris, did I see somewhere that you are from Worcestershire? I'm In Kidderminster and would be more than happy to give you a lift if you can get to my house?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the offer of a lift, that's very kind. On this occasion I will drive myself as I'm going straight over to a friends house afterwards. In any case I shall meet you on Saturday.

Chris.

• Like 1

The plants are just about fully developed now. Like last time, please come through the gates from Queen Elizabeth Way.

There are a lot of plants for sale including quite a few rarities.

Ady, I will definitely arrange a game with you!

• Like 1

I wish I could pop down, but instead down in London at a conference - zzzzzzz. Hopefully though I'll get chance to go to Kew tomorrow, weather permitting before setting of for home.

Edited by Picavorus