Sign in to follow this  
Habber

Electric slug fence

Pics of my Home made solar power slug fence for my cold frame.100% effective(so far)9e98945abb5a886023df15725a98b4f4.jpg1677a004648df58ca9fa859420f0bb5a.jpg made from 2 led solar lights sum wire and copper tape.7.5 volts keeps them away ha ha 1 to me 0 to the slug

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Great idea.

What metal did you use?

Copper reacts with slugs that's why you can buy those copper slug bands to round pots which I have n ever tried i have to say i wonder if its a similar effect?

Does this kill them?

James

Edited by James

I had reasonable success in the past (when I was growing vegetables) with the copper tape you can buy to keep slugs at bay. I seem to remember they go into all sorts of contortions to avoid touching it.  Of course it wasn't half as much fun as electrifying the whole thing like you've done there.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I find that a small moat keeps them away, as slugs can't swim.

Of course, the addition of a miniature fleet of armed ships and an army battalion also helps!

General+Jumbo+02.jpg

Its copper sticky tape in an open circuit (its totally safe to us)copper on its own reacts with the slugs slime but a hungry slug will still cross it so i made it electric.its like putting your tongue on a 9v square battery so it doesn't kill the slugs but they will not cross the 2nd copper line its got to be better than using slug pellets and cheeper in the long run

Edited by Habber

Yes the fence is only on at night but thats when the slugs come out.i can just cover the sensor in the day to turn it on if i need to

Edited by Habber

better get it patented fast or before you know it someone will be selling them on Amazon  :Laie_97:

sorry, double post.

Edited by Gaz

Too late they have, just searched on Amazon for electric slug fence and there it is your is solar so more eco friendly

James

they will be pumping these out of Chinese factories in no time.

Yeah, but will the English slugs be able to read the Chinese Stop sign...

81Swgx-kx4L._SL1000_.jpg

This is a great idea! I will try something similar for my alpines and dwarf Hosta's as they are ruthless with them!!

If you use the same fence as the one above and you're plants are in the ground be sure to put a plastic barrier or something similar up to 3" deep around sed plant/plants and turn the soil to make sure non are hiding as some slugs can burrow under the mud.my fence is on a plastic floor so they can't do this

Edited by Habber