How long does it take for Drosera seeds to germinate?

I got some fresh Drosera binata and capillaris seeds recently, and sowed them on moist peat. They have been sitting in my grownhouse outside for quite a few weeks now, but haven't shown any signs of germination.

Am I being impatient, or should they have done something by now?

Any and all advice welcome as usual!

The extremely general question in your headline can easily be answered: somewhere in the range of few days to several years.

The two species you mention in your post usually germinate for me within a few weeks (2-5 weeks to give an estimate). However, the temperature may also play a role.

Best regards

Dieter

• Like 1

The extremely general question in your headline can easily be answered: somewhere in the range of few days to several years.

:laugh2: I like a nice specific answer!

The two species you mention in your post usually germinate for me within a few weeks (2-5 weeks to give an estimate). However, the temperature may also play a role.

As I said, they've been outside in my growhouse, so it's been mild to slightly warm during the day, and cool at night. No idea of actual temperatures, but it's not been that cold.

I'll leave them a couple more weeks before worrying too much then. I reckon they've been there for about 2-3 weeks already, so maybe I'm just impatient!

Thanks

Yes, 4 weeks is a good ballpark figure for many of the well distributed species.

Just in case you would like to see other examples: This winter germinated some potential pygmy Drosera hybrid seeds for me. The seeds were sown in late 2012 or 2013. Same experience for certain tuberous Drosera seeds. This is the reason for my general reply above. But there are enough examples in both Drosera groups which germinate much faster than this...

Cheers

Dieter

• Like 1

Yes, 4 weeks is a good ballpark figure for many of the well distributed species.

Just in case you would like to see other examples: This winter germinated some potential pygmy Drosera hybrid seeds for me. The seeds were sown in late 2012 or 2013. Same experience for certain tuberous Drosera seeds. This is the reason for my general reply above. But there are enough examples in both Drosera groups which germinate much faster than this...

Thanks, as I said, I'll wait a couple more weeks and see.

seeds take a bit longer up here Yossu,end of april to mid may depending on the weather.

OK, thanks for the reassurance. I don't have anything to lose by leaving them, I'm just keen!

Lost most of my dormant droseras when the growhouse got blown around in the winds, and am keen to get more grown!

Thanks again.