Drosera barbigera x scorpioides, a new pygmy Drosera hybrid

Dear all,

I started off a post in the German forum to let the users identify the parents of a new hybrid which germinated in the winter 2014/2015 and now started to flower. The flower morphology (bot not the colouration) seems to be dominated by the seed parent, which I like very much.

You will have it a little easier and do not need to guess which species might be the parent of this one, even though I think that is an interesting excercise.

I start with two pictures from last summer, the seedling being roughly half a year old and forming a few gemmae as result of the adaption to the conditions in my "wintergarden".

barb_x_scorp1.jpg

barb_x_scorp2.jpg

The plant has grown a lot larger since then. Finally, in the second week of March, I found first signs of an inflorescence.

barb_x_scorp9.jpg

Two more weeks later one could guess the flower colour.

barb_x_scorp8.jpg

I missed the first open flowers during the easter weekend and found a third one still open when I came back from work on Thursday. It was already getting dark (but surprisingly the flower was still wide open) and therefore the conditions for taking a picture were pretty bad. Yesterday, I finally had the luck to be at home, have nice conditions for taking pictures and even 2 open flowers:

barb_x_scorp3.jpg

barb_x_scorp4.jpg

barb_x_scorp5.jpg

barb_x_scorp6.jpg

For comparison a pretty old picture from the seed parent:

Drosera%20barbigera%20flowers%203.jpg

Another old picture, now the pollen parent:

Drosera%20scorpioides%20large%20flowers.

I hope you like the hybrid. At least I do very much so :-)

Cheers

Dieter

P.S. Yes, some (but very few) of you are waiting for an email reply. I have not forgotten or ignore, I just had very little spare time recently.

Edited by Dieter
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...