"Forcing" Mexican Pinguicula to wake up?

cefa@

Hello, I was reading some discussions on various forums/fb posts where some growers said that they prefer "forcing" their plants to wake up by starting to water them in April/May, while others wait for the plants to decide when it's time... . What do you guys think of that?  :rolleyes:  

Seems to make absolutely no difference as they don't seem to have many functioning roots in the winter anyway. I have some that have been totally dry and others wet, both are flowering and in the same stage of growth. The main difference with ones kept completely dry is that they tend to shrink a little in size compared to ones kept moist. I tend to prefer dry(ish) as I used to regularly lose a few if they were to wet over winter, I keep mine cool, min 4C.

Edited by manders

Seems to make absolutely no difference as they don't seem to have many functioning roots in the winter anyway. I have some that have been totally dry and others wet, both are flowering and in the same stage of growth. The main difference with ones kept completely dry is that they tend to shrink a little in size compared to ones kept moist. I tend to prefer dry(ish) as I used to regularly lose a few if they were to wet over winter, I keep mine cool, min 4C.

I keep mine in the same conditions but now temps here are definitely higher. Some are flowering, some are just STILL. Like gypsicola, cyclosecta etc... I've tried to water them more but one rotted in a few days, so I'm keeping them drier now. Btw I they seem to be in delay this year, this is what concerns me

Mine are still in the winter rosette stage, don't think there has been much leaf growth yet. I don't have gypsicola or cyclosecta but I suspect they will start growing when they are good and ready and not before.

Mine are still in the winter rosette stage, don't think there has been much leaf growth yet. I don't have gypsicola or cyclosecta but I suspect they will start growing when they are good and ready and not before.

I think you're kinda right... now temps are higher, during the afternoon in the greenhouse i may get 25C, I'll try to keep the soil moister but meh, they really seem to do defeq they want XD

my P. gypsicola, gracilis, rotunidlfora are just waking up, cyclosecta not yet. I water them all by tray method with about 1.5cm water, topping up again when the compost surface looks dry.  They are in a mostly mineral compost.  Minimum winter temp around 7C but already hitting 30 in the greenhouse on sunny days.  I just let all of mine do there own thing and don't worry too much about when they wake up.  The gypsicola was an oddity, when I first got it it stuck in winter rosette for over 18 months and only started to grow after repotting.