Sign in to follow this  
Nick1234

Feeding Frenzy

Over the past couple of weeks my greenhouse has been full of flies and my CPs have been having a feast. My only concern is that my VFT (typical form) has been catching so many flies that every single trap is shut and digesting a meal. My question is this: is it possible for a VFT to over-feed? In other words will it harm it to have too many flies? Incidentally I don't know what you all find but my typical seems to catch way more flies than my Akai Ryu or my rosetted 'red line' form.

There does seem to be a plague of insects at the moment. My plants too are getting a lot more insects than the last few years. Generally speaking, you will have nothing to worry about.

I'm lucky in being in a dry part of the UK...... less insects this year :-)

My plants are doing OK food wise, but we haven't, as yet touch wood cross fingers stroke a black cat, had the plagues others have had.

There was no insects in the greenhouse at all till now, where the summer has come to Denmark. There is a lot of noise in the greenhouse from the life-strugling insects trapped inside of the Sarracenias :(...

Guest abs0lutely

My Sarrs are only babies (from the auctio here last year) but there are actually dead wasps sticking right out the top of the pitchers! Most of the pitchers have now started to go brown from the middles... probably because they're so full. Hope the plants will be ok :

My VFTs are also constantly full. They're starting to look a bit of a mess - so many dead squished insects all over the place I don't really want to go near them! Still, they seem healthy enough, and they're digesting the insects very well and pretty fast - fingers crossed that they're gaining a tremendous amount of energy from it all.

You're lucky! Here, there are a lot less insects than last year!! My plants are hungry! :lol:

I was in Barga near Lucca, Tuscany last week and believe me there were plenty of insects there, including a lovely green Mantis on my sisters Pelargoniums.

Mantis-sml.jpg

I spent a day helping clear a friends land and came home very sore around the knees, it ain't the large ones it's the tiny barely visible blighters that had me :-(

my VFT hasn't ate in a few weeks, and I've been thinking of feeding it. I seen the thread of a VFT eating a frog, and got a twisted idea. :lol:

Don't hate me.

When I seen the cute frog and it's apparent will to live I couldn't do it. Even to satisfy my curiosity of this amazing plant's digestive ability.

So I placed the frog down near the plant and said "Good luck little froggy, I place you in fates hands" and it hopped once triggering a trap, and hopped again to freedom.

So I called him "lucky" and put him back where I found him.

During this I was annoyed with about 20 wasp flying around my head. I thought of capturing one of them to feed the VFT, but thought they were too big.

I go check the plants less than an hour later and see one trap vibrating. It was a wasp, and was swallowed hole. The trap had completely ate it with not even a leg or wing sticking out! :)

So, I didn't fed my plant, and it fed itself anyways. And! I much prefer it to eat dirty or annoying insects such as flies or wasp!

hehe, I can't help but think these insects/animals are somehow outsmarted by a plant. :P