olivier marthaler

osmocote(or other fertilizer) with living sphagnum for highlander Neps?

Hi all,

facing a dilemma here: growing nice Nep hamata, lowii, edward, and the like... I hesitate between plain living sphagnum (with a bit of perlite and chopped bark) and a sphagnum free compost.  The reason?  I have no experience with fertilizing plants growing in living sphagnum: is it so picky as to die?   People with experience, THANKS A LOT for sharing your experience and advice :-)

OL

I have grown a couple of heli's in living sphagnum and used orchid focus with no issues, in fact the sphagnum grows very well and needs a trim. I haven't used it on nepenthes but have heard that others do with no problems

thanks a lot for your reply... but what do you mean by "orchid focus"? is it a fertilizer brand? sorry for my poor understanding of English, not being my native tongue... :-(

20160401_174358_zpsjmz8tsey.jpg hi Olivier I've been using this and the sphagnum seems to grow well, I use it at about half strength Edited by corky

I grow all my HL neps in live sphag and a few other ingredients. I routinely fertilize with Maxsea 16-16-16 at 1/4 strength and have no issues withe the sphagnum, the sphagnum seems to thrive quite nicely. A few of the neps (macro,villosa,eddy,rajah,trusmadiensis,kinabaluensis) get coffee as well. This has no effect on the growth of the sphagnum but it does turn some of the tips of the sphagnum a brownish black which I assume is from the moss up taking the coffee particulate.

Thanks a lot for the Maxsea info :-)

Now for coffee: we in Europe (not northern Europe, but where "real" strong coffee is made and drunk, the Spanish/Italian way) drink STRONG coffee (espresso, ristretto...    So what density would you use? in American standards?   any hint? ...

Anyway, thanks already for the Maxsea I've just ordered,

OL

Glad I could help, As for the coffee strength thats hard to quantify. I do like a strongish brew, similar to the types of coffee I sampled when traveling to Florence, Italy. I do slightly dilute it with some RO/DI water. 

The coffee I add monthly along with the maxsea to the neps I mentioned. Then the rest just get the Maxsea on a monthly basis as well. I forgot to mention I do flush the pots about three days after each fertilizing session.

On 4/15/2016 at 1:10 AM, Flip_Side_the_Pint said:

I grow all my HL neps in live sphag and a few other ingredients. I routinely fertilize with Maxsea 16-16-16 at 1/4 strength and have no issues withe the sphagnum, the sphagnum seems to thrive quite nicely. A few of the neps (macro,villosa,eddy,rajah,trusmadiensis,kinabaluensis) get coffee as well. This has no effect on the growth of the sphagnum but it does turn some of the tips of the sphagnum a brownish black which I assume is from the moss up taking the coffee particulate.

I´m also using Maxsea, but nevertheless it seems that some of my plants are missing something. For any reason they have light-green and dull leaves,but no pests. I´m watering with osmosis water.

I give my Nepenthes Osmocote pellets, one in a pitcher on each plant.  They seem to do really well on it

Hi! I’m not a nepenthes grower... I only can say that my friend usually fertilizes live sphagnum (20:20:20) and says that it grows better... I had a dying cephalotus, so I put it in pure sphagnum... it hadn’t pitchers so I’ve put the fertilizer around the roots in pure sphagnum (20:20:20, 1 g x liter of water) and the sphagnum is still alive... the plants now has adult pitchers... so I think that a little fertilizer in pure sphagnum doesn’t kill it or the plant;-)

I only use fertilizer in water, so I don’t know osmocote effects

Edited by Argo88

I give my Nepenthes Osmocote pellets, one in a pitcher on each plant

I've tried too, but the pitchers became black and died very quickly...

With Orchid Focus on Sphagnum no risk, it's so diluted !

Fabrice