Low-tech "terrarium"

About nine months ago, I made a low-tech highland setup for Orchidioides Utricularia. I was inspired by the then-secretary of the BACPS, who successfully grew Utricularia humboldtii in peat in a plastic tub.

So I got a Sterilite Clearview tub and filled one-third of it with long-fibered sphagnum moss.

The first plants I put in were Utricularia asplundii and Utricularia reniformis.

2rpec0y.jpg

Eventually I acquired more Orchidioides and planted them in the tub, with mixed results. Utricularia geminiloba and Utricularia campbelliana both died, while currently Utricularia jamesoniana, Utricularia alpina, Utricularia nephrophylla, Utricularia cornigera, Utricularia praetermissa, Utricularia endresii, Utricularia quelchii, and Utricularia nelumbifolia x reniformis, in addition to the first two species, are alive.

Over the course of nine months, I have added highland Nepenthes (fusca, burkei, boschiana, and izumiae) and Drosera (roraimae, communis, viridis, riparia, felix, latifolia) to the setup with largely positive results. The container is under a LED fixture which is on for nine to ten hours a day, and it sits on the living room floor. So far I haven't needed any cooling (the air conditioner in the house is basically never on). Every night the container is taken into the backyard where temperatures are around 12 to 18 degrees C, and then moved back into the house before it warms up outside. In the summer the nights can get pretty warm (over 20 degrees C) but the plants appear to have tolerated that.

wJ4Izeq.jpg

fIYk8gz.jpg

oDphOAv.jpg

QxXQn8E.jpg

CgSBHBf.jpg

XQeE3sH.jpg

9uUQNpk.jpg

2le5oDB.jpg

yLG2j0H.jpg

MvHWgFh.jpg

XlLXTXX.jpg