Sign in to follow this  
Yossu

How long can CPs stand in tap water without being damaged?

My mother (bless her) was in a garden centre the other day, and saw some CPs. Knowing that I like them, she bought me a VFT and a Sarra (variety unknown so far). On advice from the man there, she stood them in water. I was a bit horrified by this, but she assured me that the man (who knows about these things apparently  :shout:) told her that filtered water was OK.

They've been in it for a few days now, and will probably stay there until Thursday, when she's coming to see us. Do you reckon this will do them any harm? Would I be better telling her to take them out of the water, and just make sure they don't dry out?

She was very proud of the fact that since she brought them home, they've perked up noticeably. I didn't like to point out that with the way CPs get treated in most garden centres, she could probably hose them with petrol and they'd look better! OK, so maybe that's a weeny exaggeration, but you know what I mean  :laugh1:.

Any advice welcome as ever. Thanks

She's in Leeds, where they have very soft water. I guess I can flush them out when I get them.

Thanks

In soft water areas, they should be good for several years... 9 years in my case...

• Like 2

Even in hard water I doubt they will be significantly harmed over a few days. If you are worried you can always repot into fresh media as any calcium or other impurities they wont like will have built up in the compost and would be easily got rid of with a re-pot. I live in a very hard water area (its practically liquid chalk!) and on a couple of occasions when there has been little rainfall and ive emptied all my reserves I have had to water with tap water just to stop them drying out until I could get RO water. It caused no harm, I just wouldn't want to do it too often.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. She came over to see us, but forgot to bring the plants! Anyway, I gave her a bottle of rain water, and explained what to do with it, so they should be OK until next week when she's coming again.