Drosera in Hong Kong?

First off let me start with an apology I dont have any photos but I just wanted to ask CPUK members for any info they might have on seeing Drosera in Hong Kong I will be visiting there for a couple of days in the first week of July this year and of course I would love to see some CPs in habitat. Is Lantau Island Sunset peak the best place to go? In case we don't have time or more likly my wife gets annoyed with my plant obsession is their any easier place to view plants in habitat? I would like to see Nepenthes mirabilis too but Drosera are my main love. Please delete if this isn't appropriate. 

I don't have any information to add to what you doubtless already know, but Lantau would probably be your best bet. I did see Drosera there a couple of decades ago, but that was before I got into the hobby so I don't know which species they were. Sunset Peak has D. oblanceolata near the summit, and there are populations of D. spatulata on the island too. D.peltata would be the one I'd want to see, but I'm not sure where that grows. Good luck, and post some photos afterwards!

• Like 1

I don't have any information to add to what you doubtless already know, but Lantau would probably be your best bet. I did see Drosera there a couple of decades ago, but that was before I got into the hobby so I don't know which species they were. Sunset Peak has D. oblanceolata near the summit, and there are populations of D. spatulata on the island too. D.peltata would be the one I'd want to see, but I'm not sure where that grows. Good luck, and post some photos afterwards!

Thanks Numpty, I think thats what i will try I would also love to see peltata and I heard burmanii is in Hong Kong too? I will definitely take photos of any cps I see and hopefully a video too as it looks pretty scenic and post them here. Cant wait!

If you don't manage a trip out to Lantau there are drosera on Hong Kong Island at Pokfulam country park. Walk along the road into the park from the bottom and they are on the wet rocks about 10 minutes into the park up on your left. You will have to climb up the rocks a bit away from the path.

See this post and you may even be able to recognize which rocks they were up. It's a beautiful walk all the way up to the peak even if you don't see any CPs.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11855&hl=macau

Regards Neil

• Like 1