Signs of Spring.

So it was a lovely day down here in the south east and I thought I'd have a check on my plants.

Several sarras have flower buds emerging and I even found 2 new cephalotus that have sprouted from seed over winter?.

Dead leaves removed, de bugged and the plants first drink of the year, now all back under their protection as we're bound to get down to freezing again.....

• Like 2

There's a few of you in and around ramsgate!.

I've always preferred ' Spring' dividing as I read the rhizomes can't produce a callous in the winter, leaving a 'wound' open to the elements.

A couple of my seedling sized cephs have took a hit, we had a -7 one night which I think did the damage.

I'm hoping it's just the top growth that's gone and there'll be a recovery from the roots...

Fingers crossed, no sign of any other issues across my whole collection thankfully.

I had aphids on my vft's right up to putting them under protection January time....

I gave the plants a spray before stowing them away, not really had a good look at them yet as the sarras took all day!.

I'll keep an eye out though as the mild winter won't have killed off the bugs I doubt.

It always surprises me as to why the aphids choose certain plants, I had some vft's covered until I treated them and some that remained aphid free without intervention . I have marked the pots of the plants that got the worst infestations last year to see if they're the same this year.

There's a few of you in and around ramsgate!.

Yes my mate Stu, who's on here, is in Ramsgate and there is a chap with a holiday home down here who bought from me last year.

Have had the same problems with Aphids on VFT's! Havent quite seen as low as -7 on the coast but it did get quite low on a couple of nights. It was exactly that point when the electrics down to my greenhouses packed up so I had to do an emergency bit of bodging one very cold evening to get some heaters running again!