Too early to put out my Sarracenia?

alredor

Hello everyone!

I came here to ask advice, because I've only recently started growing carnivorous plants. Here is the situation: in the summer of 2015 I bought some Sarracenia (purpurea and some hybrids) and before that I got a venus flytrap. I put my Sarracenia + flytrap in the basement near a window to let them go dormant and they stayed there from around early November to early February (temperature was about 12 degrees C or 54 degrees F. They all went dormant without problems, slowly turning brown and stopped growing. Now that February comes around I noticed my flytrap was beginning to put a flower stalk (I'll cut it off no worries), which I saw as a sign to repot/devide all my Sarracenia + flytrap and to put them outside. But I'm starting to worry, because temperatures outside are much lower (5 degrees C or 41 F) than the temperatures they experienced inside my basement. I'm afraid they will go dormant again or go into shock form the transplant + cold temperatures. Should I be worried? Should I keep them indoors for another month or so? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still should be dormant so is there any chance the VFT flower grew during the warm December? I'd leave them where they are for now.

Are you growing them outside permanently? They won't do much until about May if you are. A greenhouse or warm windowsill would be better

They still should be dormant so is there any chance the VFT flower grew during the warm December? I'd leave them where they are for now.

Are you growing them outside permanently? They won't do much until about May if you are. A greenhouse or warm windowsill would be better

I'm 100% sure the flower stalk didn't start growing in December. They have all been dormant since early November, when I moved them to the basement. Everything seemed to slow growth until it completely stopped. The flower stalk didn't come up until late January. It's not like it's about to bloom, the stalks are only 1 inch tall (I included a picture from the 2nd of February). I plan on cutting them off when they are 2 inches and then planting them in a pot to see if new flytraps will grow.

Also, I thought flytraps are more dependent on photoperiod instead of temperature? Even if that's not the case, my plants in the basement stayed relatively cool during december, so I don't think that was much of a problem.

I forgot to mention I live in the Netherlands, not UK. I'll keep them inside as long as temperatures are around freezing and maybe put them outside in a month or so.

A picture from 2 weeks ago:

322ab0fc9e8ff5d3f6ef42cd784a322d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks like it's got plenty of new spring growth! Maybe just put the VFT on a warm windowsill to get going and leave the others where they are for the time being.

Did you buy the flytrap from a garden centre last year by any chance?

That's sounds good, I will do that thanks!

Yes I did, how did you know?! Do those have a habit of flowering early the first year or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk