What kind of sand do I use?

Hello,

Following my recent disaster with the wind, a couple of CPers here were kind enough to help me rebuild. I was planting some Sarras, and used a 50:50 mix of peat moss and play sand. As I was doing it, it occurred to me that the if the sand is there to help with drainage (correct me if I'm wrong on that one), then play sand is probably too fine. If anything, this made the peat more solid, and presumably more water-retentive.

What sand should I use? I just bought plain play sand, and it's very fine. Should I use a coarser grain? If so, do I just buy it in a garden centre or builder's yard, or do I have to be careful what's in it?

Thanks

I don't use sand at all, as I find that even some supposedly lime free horticultural sand contains alkaline grains.

What do you use instead? I've heard dire stories about perlite, and am a bit nervous about using it.

I use a 50/50 peat moss/perlite mix and, as Ada suggests, I spray the perlite before I use it to keep any dust down.

In the past I have incorporated sand in my mix but found it made it to heavy and compact which I considered wouldn't be good for root development.

• Like 1

I do use a portion of sand in my sarra mix. It's J Arthur Bower horticultural sand - they also do a grit - and I've not had any trouble. My preferred proportions are peat:perlite:sand in ratios of 4:2:1 (think this comes from one of Slack's books). But like's been said the sand is not essential.

• Like 1

I use a 50/50 peat moss/perlite mix and, as Ada suggests, I spray the perlite before I use it to keep any dust down.

In the past I have incorporated sand in my mix but found it made it to heavy and compact which I considered wouldn't be good for root development.

I use exactly the same mix too, seems to work fine.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Maybe I was just being paranoid about the perlite. I seem to remember someone posting a warning here (Welshy perhaps? Can't remember), and it rather putting me off.

I guess if I take precautions, I should be OK.

Does it matter where I buy it? Don't know if there's any difference between one person's perlite and another!

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

If you buy a big bag ebay is your best bet and its free p and p,got mine for less than £20 type in horticultural grade perlite

Thanks for the advice. As it happens, I found someone on eBay selling perlite pretty cheaply, it has the advantage of being light, so P+P wasn't much, and I bought a decent sized bag. I got a mask like builders wear, and use it whenever I handle the stuff. The mix feels better than the ones I did with sand, which feel too solid.

Thanks again.

Builders sand is totally unsuitable, it has probably got lime in as well. You should use lime-free horticultural sand.

The standard Adrian Slack mixture for Sarracenia is 4 parts sphagnum moss peat, 2 parts perlite and 1 part sand. Growers have been experimenting with other mixes as discussed above.

Why not be a bit more environmentally savvy and use coir in place of the peat. It works just as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some aquarium sand thats marked "does not change pH" - is it safe to assume this would be ok for carns?

• Like 1