"Edwards Giant"

Bidde

Hi guys. Does anybody knows something about "Edwards giant"? Is this myth or reality that this is a giant with bigger pitchers than typical and has anybody this plant in his collection and can show us pictures? And the history and characteristics of this clone were interesting to know. Is this a clone of the grower Paul Edwards?

Best regards

Bidde

Cephalotus "Edward's Giant" is a Oz clone avalable in Oz and now already in Europe and it was distributed to me from Oz grower John Yates.  

Last year for the first time I sold one small plant on eBay and I don't think you or someone else will have chance to have this clone in near future...

You can PM John Yates for more info or to catch him up in facebook ( if he approves you)....

• Like 1

Hi people.

I grew this Ceph back in the early 2000s. I'm not sure of where I originally sourced it from, but I had it for several years.

It was big. And I mean BIG! It had great colouration and I was lucky enough to win the Grand Champion plant with it at the VCPS Annual Show. I'm not sure if it was a big cultivar or I just had the growing conditions spot on.

I didn't name it "Edwards Giant" and I have no idea who did.

After the show, I divided it up and gave pieces out to several members of the VCPS at a meeting.

I stopped growing CPs about 10 or so years ago and moved on to other interests. However in the last year my interest has been re-sparked, mainly due to the new range of very large VFTs that are now available. I bought a small hothouse and have been steadily growing my collection and have some 30 or so VFT cultivars. Plus a couple of Drosera and Sarras, but my main interest is currently with the VFTs.

I also got some TC Cephs (still flasked) which are described as "strong, fast and big growers". I've only had them out of TC for a few months, but some are showing good signs of strong growth already.

I have a pic of the original Ceph that won the show. The pic doesn't give it justice, as you could actually fit your finger inside the larger traps. If someone can explain to me how to attach the pic, I will.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Edwards
  • Like 2

I stand corrected, Paul does grow CPs.

Welcome back Paul!

Oh, and I think the plant was named by Gus Franco.

Edited by Sean Spence

Just upload the pic somewhere like: photobucket, flickr, picasa or whatever u want. Then click on the chosen pic and copy the URL address. Then go back here as if u will write a post. However, up in the middle in the toolbar there is an icon "Image"- click on it a paste the URL address and push the button "OK".

If u both still have problems posting pictures, please PM me.

Edited by dimitar

Hi people.

I grew this Ceph back in the early 2000s. I'm not sure of where I originally sourced it from, but I had it for several years.

It was big. And I mean BIG! It had great colouration and I was lucky enough to win the Grand Champion plant with it at the VCPS Annual Show.

I didn't name it "Edwards Giant" and I have no idea who did.

Cheers, Paul.

Yes, your plant put my "Giant" into second place in the Cephs that year, even though it can produce bigger pitchers.  Good to see you back.  As Sean said, it is Guy who re-named your plant.  My piece of your clone is just tagged with your name.  Great colouration and growth rate from this clone, no matter which name it goes by.

Edited by Marcus B
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I too can confirm that Gus named this clone Edwards Giant. I acquired one from Gus back in June 2011. I asked Gus where he sourced the original plant from and he advised that "The plant comes from a division from Paul Edwards's plant."

I have found this cone to be the most vigorous of all my Cephalotus clones and also produces large traps. All my Ceph's are grown under the same conditions.

Regards

Louis

Edited by lsternar

• 11 months later...

A year ago I was lucky enough to get a leaf cutting of this plant from VCPS President, Steve Fretwell.

This is a pic of it after 1 year (it's the end of the growing season here).

Coming along quite nicely!

Cheers, Paul

Edwards Giant 02.JPG

• Like 1