Destroyed by the wind :(

Following some great advice here, I moved my CPs into a plastic growhouse outside for the winter. Knowing what our winters can be liked, I put it in *what I thought was) a sheltered spot and anchored it down firmly, but it seems it wasn't enough. I went out earlier and found the whole thing flat on its face, with my plants and seeds scattered across the garden. I couldn't even find some of the smaller plants. Looks like the pots went one way, the peat another and the plants, well who knows. Couldn't find all of them.

Looks like I've lost most of my plants, and the ones that survived are in bad shape. I had about 200 seeds as well, and they have mostly gone. The few that remain may germinate, but all of the labels I used were scattered around, so I have no idea what is what now.

Ho hum. Shame of it is, there is no way I can afford to replace them at the moment. Bang go my big plans for the spring!

Take this as a Cautionary Tale (with extra A.A. Milne capital letters) to anyone in the same position. You can't beat the British Weather!

Never underestimate Mother Nature !

When i was erecting the greenhouse, i anchored it down to the concrete blocks with 48 x 3 inch anchor bolts. Having paid over a grand for it, i wasn't taken any chances ! I'm also thinking this Summer of drilling 4 eye bolts into the blocks outside so i can throw two ratchet straps over the apex of the roof when bad storms are forecast. A small additional cost to preserve my investment as much as i can. Especially as the storms seem to be getting worse each year.

Obviously a greenhouse is easier to fix down than these small plastic covered 'greenhouses'. I've seen the tie-down strings you get with these things and they're mostly laughable, my tent peg lines are stronger. Is there any way you can use eye-bolts and 1 ich ratchet straps similar to what i've just mentioned ? Even if it means digging a little breezeblock base in with the top level with the lawn ? (if it's sitting on grass of course).

I realise it must be totally disheartening to have your collection trashed in such a way, but hopefully when this incident is just a distant memory the bug will bite again. There are some very kind people on CPUK who often give plants away to help people get going again in situations like this, so don't get too down, you never know what the future will bring.

Chin up mate, at least you still have your neps :wink:

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the encouragement. I must say that having only started in the hobby last spring, to have it (almost) all wiped out in one go was a bit of a blow.

I've tied it down a bit more, and was holding its own in the same winds that blew it over before, so I'm hopeful it will last this time. I had been contemplating a small greenhouse for the spring, but at the moment, I won't have much to put in it! Fancy a trip to the bank around 3am? I could do with an extra pair of hands to break in, and someone to get caught if we don't run fast enough  :laugh2:

You're right about the neps (and friends), they are still here, smiling away at me.

Thanks again.

Mother Nature ?, I bet you were mentioning a " mother " of other sorts!.

Gutting thing to have happened mate and we all know how it feels to lose our much loved beasts.

There's not many here who haven't suffered at the hands of Mother Nature, birds, bugs , botrytis , cats , kids etc etc.....

• Like 2

I'm sorry about your growhouse. I had it happen once luckily I had bedding plants in so was able to salvage them, but since then I tie it to the drainpipe at the side with several ropes (I use climbing rope that I burn at the ends to prevent fraying, it is much easier to undo knots being smooth), as well as it being pegged down well. Makes it awkward to open without untying it. Also I make sure that I have bags of compost on the floor shelf to help weight it down. Touch wood the worst that happens now is it leans a bit and keeping the plants in clear plastic crates they stay where they are meant to, or are rescuable.

Edited by Picavorus
  • Like 1

Thankfully, it all survived the winds last night, so I have some breathing space.

I'll have to wait and see what happens. Some of the plants have definitely gone (couldn't even find a trace of some!), but some look like they may survive, although I reckon it may take a year or two for them to recover properly.

As for the seeds, well it was a nice idea. I have a few left, but most were scattered around the garden, so I may find a few Sarracenias growing in the middle of the lawn! Might still get one or two plants from the seeds I have left, but having spent ages carefully writing out labels, I don't have a clue which was which now.

Chalk it up to a rather expensive experience.

Edited by Yossu

I had a very similar experience when I first started growing carnivores, the plastic on those little grow houses is all that strong. But like you say add it to the list of life's experiences ☺

• Like 1

Thankfully, it seems to be holding up against the (thankfully now calm) winds, so it's just a case of waiting to see what survives.

I've been very touched by a couple of generous offers from people here, offering me spare plants and seeds. Makes you feel all kinda cosy when there are good people like that around. Hopefully one day I'll be in a position to pay back. Meantime, you'll just have to put up with my waffling posts and poor jokes!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yossu, mate disaster. I have the added luxury of a shed for the nasty windy months but feel the pain. the £20 B&M Offer of the plazzy one was good for summer and autumn but when Mr Atlantic Wind came a callin luckily I had emptied it. It has also ended up in 3 pieces, the man down the road gave me some back. it went a long way.

I know that you are limited on space but seed trays (depending on how you grow) will take 8 square pots and can be kept indoors

http://www.wilko.com/seed-trays-plant-pots+planters/wilko-seed-tray-economy-black-3pk/invt/0183650

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/premium-gravel-tray-without-holes-614312

Grow bag trays also do the same job but are longer and shallower. Just depends on how many you have and how potted.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/growbag-tray-830344

this has kept me sweet this winter and can see that there is plenty of new growth on its way

Also keep an eye out in the poundshops this Spring, last year i picked up a fullsize growbag tray for a quid. It's shallower in depth though, only about 2cm, but i thought it would be ideal for standing small pots of bogplants in as it would easily overflow and not drown anything. Haven't used it yet though purely due to lack of space ! :laugh1:

They also do packs of between 3 and 5 seed trays for a pound usually. Cheaper quality i know, but how often would you move them when they're full of plants.