South American sundews for beginners

Hi all!

I'm planning to expand or better said rebuild (after an electrical misshape on the coldest days here in Sweden) my sundew collection. I've been looking at South American sundews for a while but I wonder if there are some tricks-of-the-trade or some "easier" ones to star with.

Is there any good suplier of them?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi,

this species makes no troubles in normal warm conditions:

D. graomogolensis

D. latifolia

D. riparia

D. tomentosa

D. spiralis

Use a sand/peat mix 1:1 or perlite/peat mix 1:1 with slightly watering, then no problems.

Hope, this helps

Best regards

Tobias

I grow Drosera graomogolensis, Drosera latifolia, and Drosera riparia and they are definitely more forgiving. Drosera graomogolensis even grows on a windowsill for me (I plan on moving it to a better setup soon though). Drosera latifolia seemingly disappeared from my collection but I have noticed it appear again. Drosera riparia has even flowered for me. You might also want to try Drosera felix and Drosera communis. I grow all of these species with Drosera roraimae in long-fibered sphagnum in a plastic tub.

yW9lfRe.jpg

In terms of suppliers, I have purchased from both Best CP and Carnivoria. Other than Drosera meristocaulis which didn't make the trip from Carnivoria, the plants I received were in pretty good shape.

Edited by Mujinamo