Unknown

dimitar

• 3 months later...

By it being 'unknown' does that mean it can only therefore be labeled c.f. Typical

Here is the story around this plant:

I got very small Cephalotus seedling years ago from a friend from Germany as an addition to Pings. They were open pollination between different Cephalotus and he was never interested in what would appear from the seeds. 

Personally for me looking the shape of the pitchers it looks like cross between Cephalotus "Big Boy" and something else but I can't be sure, that is why I labaled it "unknown", but if u insist guys I easily can name it with pet name or name after the grower...  :wink: 

Edited by dimitar

Personally for me looking the shape of the pitchers it looks like cross between Cephalotus "Big Boy" and something else but I can't be sure, that is why I labaled it "unknown", but if u insist guys I easily can name it with pet name or name after the grower...  :wink: 

Cephalotus "Dimi's Dilemma" :biggrin:

Sorry new to this. I am a bit confused. Just reading what my tag says on my caph. I guess I have Albany if that's the type?

Albany is not a type. Albany pitcher plant is just a common name for Cephalotus Follicularis, in the same way as Venus Fly trap is a common name for Dionaea muscipula.

Cephalotus naming and culivars can be a little confusing when starting out. All Cephalotus are Cephalotus Follicularis, including yours. When they have no particular distinguishing characteristic they are commonly termed as 'typical', though many will say there is no such thing as typical as there are variations between plants. When there is a distinguishing characteristic then some people name them or register them as cultivars.

Naming is informal like giving it a pet name, such as the one I gave above, calling it Cephalotus "Dimi's Dilemma". A named clone will have the name in double quotation marks ("NAME").

A cultivar is similar to a named clone, but it has been registered and in the case of carnivorous plants they are registered with the ICPS. Registered clones will have the name in single quotation marks ('NAME'). A list of registered cultivars can be found here http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php?name=Cephalotus

There is some controversy over both named and cultivar clones, in that there is no formal confirmation that the clone actually displays the distinguishing characteristic. In some cases the characteristic is only expressed in very particular conditions and when these conditions are not met then they may look just like 'typicals'. An example of such is the so called dark clones, where the colouration will only be expressed in the same conditions as those which would give good colouration to 'typicals'. In this case then the dark clones may get darker. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My unknown clone maturing and starts showing lovely shape of its pitchers but as I said already above, it very much reminds me the shape of Cephalotus "Big Boy", so I still think that one of its parents is Cephalotus "Big Boy" or possible cross with it. Of course these are just my thoughts without being sure. Bellow I'll post Cephalotus "Big Boy" for comparison.

All thoughts are welcome.

P6280048_zpsm0j78amq.jpg

P6280051_zpsasg2w06f.jpg

P6280059_zpsxscfwso0.jpg

Cephalotus "Big Boy"

P6280005_zpsq9zrgdbr.jpg

P6280001_zps3z3zvlqv.jpg