Live Sphagnum Moss How to

No it isn't Yossu but it's hardly a topic to put in peat free cultivation if you're using peat.

The correct advice was given in post #2 by ada, pity it wasn't followed

Chuck it in a tray of water? That's where my bit is right now. Going to move it somewhere brighter though.

Thanks

Surley if he got up after the deed he would fall over

Anyway two members are happy they now have live moss

I have decided to keep one tray with just rainwater and live moss

and one with Klasmann Sphagnum Moss Peat 60mm with live moss

on top in rainwater we will see how they get on

Edited by Deltatango301

Huge public thanks to Terry (Deltatango301) for the lovely live moss I just got.

One more question for the wise. Does it make any difference if the tray of moss is outdoors or in my (as yet unbuilt) greenhouse? The latter provides protection from the birds, falling leaves, cats, etc, but means I have to remember to keep the water topped up.

Any comments?

My guess is that Fred keeps his in his greenhouse, and that's good enough for me!

Might be worth protecting it from direct sunlight though. Could be that's what your supplier meant.

My guess is that Fred keeps his in his greenhouse, and that's good enough for me!

Might be worth protecting it from direct sunlight though. Could be that's what your supplier meant.

Edit:  Oops, sorry for the double-post, browser didn't show the first one as posted.

Edited by Yossu

What's the point of you two asking for advice and then when you get it you start questioning it or totally ignoring it and going off and doing your own thing. 

No wonder I stopped posting for a while.

What's the point of you two asking for advice and then when you get it you start questioning it or totally ignoring it and going off and doing your own thing. 

I didn't! I was agreeing with you. I was just trying to work out why he was told not to put the stuff in a greenhouse. I already told you I was going to put mine in, based on your advice.

No wonder I stopped posting for a while.

Fred I appreciate your advise but when you are new I like to get others advise as well

On the same subject not everyone does the same thing and others that have wrote

Books I have found do not always agree on the same subject.

I am sorry you stopped posting I would not like to think I stopped you posting

But I will still be posting and trying to learn as quickly as possible on my new hobby

Have fun Fred

Just in case you want some fairly decent Sphagnum moss in a hurry and you live near a Pets at Home shop they are selling moss for reptile bedding. It's not exactly inexpensive ( £7 ). I bought some and it is a red variety. I have it spread out in a tray and I have also spread out a small amount on some capillary matting wrapped around a foam plastic block standing in rain water just as a bit of an experiment.

Just in case you want some fairly decent Sphagnum moss in a hurry and you live near a Pets at Home shop they are selling moss for reptile bedding. It's not exactly inexpensive ( £7 ). I bought some and it is a red variety. I have it spread out in a tray and I have also spread out a small amount on some capillary matting wrapped around a foam plastic block standing in rain water just as a bit of an experiment.

In greenhouse or outside ?