Live Sphagnum Moss How to

How to keep Live sphagnum moss alive

I am thinking of buying a bunch of moss off eBay but

wondered how to keep it alive During storage and use

Any tips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Kgs-FRESH-SPHAGNUM-MOSS-Best-Quality-New-Spagnum-Sold-Moist-/191698316024?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ESA%252FH8Cydx6NzjQ4u9p7QNmVvF0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by Deltatango301

Yes, there just left outside , but in good sunlight. I am sure it would grow in a more shaded position but my thoughts were when I pot up plants in it the moss would fry, but its already used to high light20151101_110615_zps61a8z4ux.jpg in the spring this tray was level or just under, grows better than the darlingtonia;-)

Edited by corky
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have 5kg of live moss coming going to keep it alive outside the the greenhouse in 700x200x80 deep trays

Reading all the posts and articles on the subject going to put 40mm of dried dead moss in the bottom and

Lay the live moss on top and fill with rainwater won't put anything on top to stop birds as I have 3 cats

Any comments and advise thanks

Edited by Deltatango301

Wrote a post on how to grow commercial quantities of sphagnum here, some pix included: http://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread/2807/sphagnum-cultivation

Wow, great post! I have some sitting in a bucket outside, but it doesn't grow that much. I don't think it's getting enough light. Might try moving it and see if it helps.

Wow, great post! I have some sitting in a bucket outside, but it doesn't grow that much. I don't think it's getting enough light. Might try moving it and see if it helps.

Its a bit early in the season to be growing with any rapidity outdoors just yet.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Its a bit early in the season to be growing with any rapidity outdoors just yet.

I've had it there for a while, but as I said, it's not getting that much light, as it's under a tree, between the house and the fence. I'll try moving it to somewhere brighter and see what happens as spring arrives.

Thanks

My Live Sphagnum Moss In trays waiting for for the sun to shine

I just hope the snails leave it alone ?

Sit the trays in a larger tray, with an inch or so of water. Snails and slugs don't seem like like swimming, so it should keep them out. As it is now, it looks like a free lunch!

Snails and slugs will use the moss trays as nurseries, they'll not eat it but the hatchlngs will have fun with the plant roots. The main problem, as has already been said on numerous occasions, is birds. If the trays are outside the Blackbirds will think it's just for their use in building nests.It takes no time at all for them to strip a tray. Three cats is about a twentieth of the amount you'd need to guard successfully.

Oh and incidentally you have about twice as much moss in each tray as you need. Only the top will grow so spread it out.

I have not had a bird in the garden for two years, but also I have not had moss in trays we will see.

I have now moved the moss to a better position for the sun and it's been raised up on pots.

Fred I have 6 times as much moss as I need what else can I use it for if some dies c'est la vie.

image_5.jpeg

What's underneath the live moss? You mentioned putting dead moss. Is that what you did, or did you use something else?

If you have any moss spare, I wouldn't mind some. Please shoot me a PM and let me know how much you want for it.

You said you'd used a base of Irish moss. Irish moss is Sagina subulata which isn't a moss. If that's what you did you may just as well have put the Sphagnum on a bed of compost and as Sagina is a flowering weed the crop this year may not be entirely what you want.

You said you'd used a base of Irish moss. Irish moss is Sagina subulata which isn't a moss. If that's what you did you may just as well have put the Sphagnum on a bed of compost and as Sagina is a flowering weed the crop this year may not be entirely what you want.

What if he meant Irish moss peat? Is that the same?

No it isn't Yossu but it's hardly a topic to put in peat free cultivation if you're using peat.

The correct advice was given in post #2 by ada, pity it wasn't followed