New Cephalotus cuttings / pullings: propagation and potting

CephFan

• 1 month later...

I potted up half the pullings and they are in the greenhouse can't say they

are doing very well it's a wait and see if any leaves appear there are 5/6

Pullings left in the box on the window sill give them another month

image.jpg1_6.jpg

This is where I've had problems, I can get the leaves to ' strike ' but once potted on they seem to go downhill.

I now transfer the cutting and leave sphagnum around the roots, I plant that into a peat and perlite mix and allow the roots to grow through the sphagnum and into the soil.

It's not guaranteed but has worked better than transferring straight into a completely different medium.

I'm always envious when I see people on here just ' plonking ' leaves into pots and having adult looking plants 6 months on!.

I've got 3 seed grown Cephs that are over 4 yrs old and are still no bigger in diameter than a 5 p piece.

I hope you manage to save a few of your cuttings, I've just taken around 15 leaf pulls, will see how it goes this time round, some have gone into sphagnum, some into water.

Cheers blocky

Sorry it has taken so long to update this post! I have taken a couple of shots of some of mine and yes it can take them a while to settle. So long as they had roots going in there is a good chance they'll sprout.

156ea4f0f5575d81cdfbad7c5ec9e33a.jpg

This one has a couple in. One died back completely but you can see new leaves emerging now.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are three in this pot and they were looking quite stressed. You can see the remains of the slag in that I piled up around them to keep the humidity high locally. It seems to have worked and they are getting going now.c86cad298e5e45126b1e113ccfbc0a9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

It is quickest to strike in live sphagnum. i tried to strike 4 non-carnivorous leaves in a straight peat / sand mix. 3 of them    stayed green for a year.

all three have have turned into nice little plants now. I don't know how to post photos because someone has asked on another part of this forum and has still got no answer.

It is quickest to strike in live sphagnum. i tried to strike 4 non-carnivorous leaves in a straight peat / sand mix. 3 of them    stayed green for a year.

all three have have turned into nice little plants now. I don't know how to post photos because someone has asked on another part of this forum and has still got no answer.

I use photobucket take photo with your iPad or iPhone or camera upload to photobucket copy the

image data in the last line on the right And paste it to you post....

It might be good to start a new topic dedicated to different approaches to Ceph pulling. Perhaps with the country, time of year, conditions etc. People could post up their pictures and success rates? I'll start it if anyone wants to add to it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_qzBYl6_5kFOE1MLXVPYTdOcUk

Hope my attempt to post a photo has been successful.

I have done leaf pullings in live sphagnum this year. I have used small takeaway pots as used for minty yoghurt from the curry shop. I've melted a hole in the base of the pot so that when it is placed in the propagator on a layer of wet capillary matting the moss is kept wet.

My plan is to plant up the entire contents of the pot so that the roots do not get disturbed.

There are smaller pots available if you do some searching for them. One source is clear polystyrene sample cups as used for tasters in supermarkets/farmers markets etc. They should be easy enough to buy in craft shops.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_qzBYl6_5kFOE1MLXVPYTdOcUk

Hope my attempt to post a photo has been successful.

I have done leaf pullings in live sphagnum this year. I have used small takeaway pots as used for minty yoghurt from the curry shop. I've melted a hole in the base of the pot so that when it is placed in the propagator on a layer of wet capillary matting the moss is kept wet.

My plan is to plant up the entire contents of the pot so that the roots do not get disturbed.

There are smaller pots available if you do some searching for them. One source is clear polystyrene sample cups as used for tasters in supermarkets/farmers markets etc. They should be easy enough to buy in craft shops.

Not posted a photo to the thread but you made a link to you photo, halfway there