Cephalotus in a special pot

partisangardener

I have a few Cephalotus, all in ceramic pots of my own desighn.

My first attempt was this one

Cephalotusthe%20first%20ceramic%20pot_zp

Some investigation changed this desighn after one year. So it had to be repotted

Ceph-pot_zpsmritxaxs.jpg

Ceph-pot1_zpswe2myj2c.jpg

This special material is able to soak up the water, usually you do achieve this by low firing in the kiln, about 800-950 C°

Mine is fired at 1200 C°

The actual planting medium is a bit higher up, that there is no chance for decay because of suffocation.

Cephalotuspot.xxl-bottom_zpsp1lnzgob.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Habe sie jetzt selber wiedergefunden weiss aber immer noch nicht wo sie zu bekommen sind.

http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=54271

http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=54271

http://ocps.proboard...mination-2-days

Mikes superfast fragt sich nur welcher Mike (Mike Wang wäre toll.)

Hello,

Cephalotus "Mike's Super Fast" is a Oz clone  and it is not available in USA , neither it originates from MIke's Wang (USA). This clone was spread only  in a few peoples hands in EU and as far as I know maybe in Canada by John Yates, who got his original plant from MIke Perkins in Oz ie the originator of this clone...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had some fungal growth in some of the traps of my most vigorous Cephalotus.

It was mid November when I discovered something which looked like cotton candy.

From my experience I could tell this is no mold, though the picture looks very suspicious.

The moss was growing up to the peristome and probably the symbiotic fungus of the moss had found a liking of the sweet stuff.

I took some of it with a small paint brush and put it on two seeds I had already staying in this pot. Some of those fungi deliver some phytohormone which might help with germination in plant species which are not so easy to propagate.  Not very scientific but I am an artist not a scientist.

Here are pictures of the discovery and about 4 weeks later. I will watch closely if this affects the age of this pitcher. But as fast as it grows now this special pitcher will be covered completely  by new growth.

Cephalotuspilz_zpstjpnvicp.jpg

4 weeks later

Cephalotuspilz-nach-4-wochen_zps2ng6vfs5

Edited by partisangardener
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Now there are real "trees" in one of the pots. The motherplant of this "elm-tree" grows outside in a garden, it is a dwarf form and after about ten  years not more than 30 cm high. Leafs are less than 3mm long.

Cephalotus-Zwergulme_zpsss6bkiyt.jpg

Its twigs set easy root in a closed box with artificial light. Two are now  in one of my Cephalotus pots an start to grow new leafs. I hope it works.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 0:45 AM, partisangardener said:

Now there are real "trees" in one of the pots. The motherplant of this "elm-tree" grows outside in a garden, it is a dwarf form and after about ten  years not more than 30 cm high. Leafs are less than 3mm long.

Cephalotus-Zwergulme_zpsss6bkiyt.jpg

Its twigs set easy root in a closed box with artificial light. Two are now  in one of my Cephalotus pots an start to grow new leafs. I hope it works.

"elm tree" = Ulmus parvifolia 'Seju' elm used in bonsai due to it's naturally dwarf characteristics.

• 3 weeks later...