Success with Byblis gigantea seeds!

nicmanism

Hello everyone,

I am happy to report that I've successfully sprouted a couple of B gigantea seedlings.

I obtained some seeds from the CPS seedbank (thanks for the fresh seeds Sheila and whoever donated them), soaked them in a 500 ppm GA3 solution for 24 hours and sowed them onto milled sphagnum on the 27th September.

During the day they have been sitting on a heat mat on a sunny windowsill and every night I move them outside so they experience a significant temperature drop. A couple of weeks ago a couple of the seeds sprouted.

IMG_3370_zpsc4kkoba8.jpg

The above photo is of the larger seedling. The other seedling still has the seed cover attached.

They are growing very slowly.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks on how to get them though the UK winter?

I'm keeping them inside now that we are starting to get frosts.

My main worries are fungus gnats and damp-off.

Hello,

First congratulations to your succes, but be careful. Seedlings are very prone for fungi. Fungi can kill your seedlings during hours. The important things to stay them alive is as much light as you can give them and many fresh air.

Regard Roman

Hello,

First congratulations to your succes, but be careful. Seedlings are very prone for fungi. Fungi can kill your seedlings during hours. The important things to stay them alive is as much light as you can give them and many fresh air.

Regard Roman

Hi roman, the smaller seedling is already dead. The stem wilted so i guess it was either attacked by fungi or my cat squashed it. The other seedling is still alive but growing very slowly. I've got it on a sunny windowsill, sitting on a heat mat, and a radiator is below the windowsill. Hopefully these conditions will be unfavorable to fungi. The other seedling (the one that died) was under grolights on a windowsill that doesn't get any direct sun.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk