FunToFunky

So I'm itching to get my hands on a Dudley Watts cephalotus (it seems to be the largest growing cultivar from what I've read?), however as a penniless student I don't want to be stupid with my money. I've seen cephalotus cultivars go for wild prices on eBay so it's clear it can all go a bit nuts, but I'd like to know what a 'reasonable' price for a small plant of Dudley Watts is worth? I get that it's whatever the buyer thinks the plant is worth, but there must be a sensible amount of money that most would be prepared to spend?

Lots of ceph growers have spare plants,me included.I don't want to sell any.

The question was how much is a fair price?

The answer is what YOU can afford at the time,if someone will sell you one.

Be careful though,now people know what you want the price has gone up.

I'd just start with a cheaper more readily available ceph.

ada

• Like 1

I forgot to add I have no idea about the price of a dudley. And ada is right about getting a cheaper and more readily available one, if your new to cephs as in your first ceph. Forgot to say that I would swap the hummer, just offered because I could send with the other swaps.

Mark

Edited by carni grower

Oops just reread this. You were just asking about fair price. I use tapatalk on my phone and it comes into my subscriptions tab, didn't read what section this post was from I just assumed it was in sales and wants, sorry about that, teaches me too read things properly.

Mark

Edited by carni grower

I have a bog standard (excuse the pun) ceph and have grown them before for about 4/5 years so I hope I wouldn't go killing it off, is it a particularly fastidious cultivar in it's requirements? Not to worry Mark, I use safari on my phone so have to zoom and scroll continually so I misread a lot on here!

just dont buy a dudley watts. Its big, other clones are too. duidley watts is big so is hummers giant ang in germany palmengarten where it originated from, german giant gets 8cm traps i live there. So get yourself any kind of giant. my Hummers got 7cm traps and thats big and dudley watts has bigger teeth but isnt really bigger. And never ever get a eden black, sooo totally overpriced.theres other black clones out there that cost a fraction and get darker. I think if u throw out a few seeds of dark plants u can make yourself your own eden black. Thats what many people did. 

Personally I like Dudley watts.

It's probably the most recognisable clone I grow, ie I could still pick it out from amongst my other clones even if the label was removed from the pot... I can't do that with many others...

I have 2, I paid £50 for one, £15 for the other, the £15 one is the bigger plant!.

It's just a matter of keeping an eye out and being patient.

Lepto is correct in some ways in saying Eden Black is totally overpriced as it can look just like any old typical clone in most circumstances. Then again he's asking €90 for a Slack which I'd say was "sooo totally overpriced".

Each to their own I guess.

Cheers chris

well, i bought my slack for 40 when it was juvenile now its fully grown. So yeah, I ask for that. If noone wants it I go down to 70 give  and if then noone responds I give it to my neighbour or throw it away If i dont get atleast a little more than what I paid for the juvenile Plant. Yeah like i said, dudley watts is like a hummer with bigger teeth. I think theyre too big and therefore prefer hummers looks. 

Anyway, Normally u can sell half of ur big plant and get ur Moeney back if ur a really good grower. But still, If u go for looks and not for rarity then u get good plants for good prices. 50 euros for a ceph giant is ok, after a while u have a big nice plant. 150 euros for a nep edwardsiana is what I paid, cus in a few years it has 35cm pitchers and I can sell a juvenile growing point and get my money back. And if u pay 400 euros for a eden black which is really small, not better than other clones, simply called "deep red" or "turns almost black" then u are good at wasting money. 

Edited by Lepto

From the photos I've seen it looks quite nice, I'll just have to keep an eye out on here/eBay/open days. Blocky71 does one grow bigger because of environmental conditions or do you think one might be an imposter? :O What black clones would you recommend Lepto? I presume you're being facetious when you say you'd throw away a division of a rare ceph clone? :P

Well, If I dont sell it for a cheap price And I dont have space cus I allready bought myself new clones, then I throw it away. I dont sell plants below 30-35 euos anyway cus i hate packing and shipping them and all the stress of communicating and crap, and the risk of something going wrong cus the Post service sucks.

http://forum.carnivoren.org/topic/38958-achtung-frisch-gestrichen/?hl=%2Bfrisch+%2Bgestrichen There u see a ugly eden black and a clone from martin Stöckl which is a bit darker... Yes i think eden black is ugly... 

The clone from Martin stöckl costs 45 euros not 450 000 million And it is darker and in my opinion alot nicer and probably grows faster.

If ppl sell 22 nanometer large eden blacks it probably is because they grow so slow and because of that are also so rare.

Edited by Lepto

They're both Dudleys, and easily recognisable as such.

One died back last year, no obvious reason for this, some clones just tend to do it more often than others.

It grew back fine but will take a couple of seasons to get back to its original size.

A shaded ceph will have bigger pitchers that will remain greener in colour, plants grown in the sun will get darker pitchers that are a bit smaller.

Don't get dragged into a " how much is it worth" exercise. As been said, any plants worth what you are comfortable paying .

If you think the price someone is asking is too high, simple, don't buy it.

Just as a guide though, if you go on eBay, search " Dudley watts ceph" and then select " completed listings" in the advanced tab it will show all the plants that have been sold and what they sold for.

You'll see that if your vigilant there's bargains to be had, it's all down to supply and demand....

There aren't any serious growers I know that would chuck out a healthy ceph due to space issues.

You could of donated any spares to Andy here and he could of auctioned them for good causes or likewise on your German forums if your worried about the post.

Your choice Lepto but I find you very odd.

I paid 40 so i want atleast 65 for a Plant i have grown for years, If not I would throw it away. And I allways take very good care of everything I do and therefore I pack Plants in a small plastic bag then a big one before that I secure the soil and put a pot ontop of the pot and then I habe to find a parcel and paper and so on And then I have to drove to the Post office And Sometimes it happens the post doesnt ship the parcel for 2 Week and it gets stuck. And sometimes the buyer is stupid and things get complicated. So Yes, I would throw it away. And the last time I had 13 Darlings a big robcantleyi and two different forms of tentaculata, And cus noone bought them and the nepenthes started to deteriorate (due to lack of space and a bad location), I offered someone I know to give them to him for free. But he has not thanked me yet for the plants. So yes, I would definitely throw it away. 

plants grown in the sun will get darker pitchers that are a bit smaller.

That one got its color in a shady position. Under my conditions especially in the summer 'full sun' means  cooked dead plants, so not always the sun is a good idea though ... 

P5240003%202_zpspu0agzps.jpg

Edited by dimitar

Lepto if I pay for postage can I have the plants you don't want that won't sell? Rather than have it wasted? :) I promise I won't complain and would thank you! :P

Dimitar that plant has a really lovely colouration, is it a cultivar? How come the lids on the darker pitchers are inverted?

Blocky71, thanks for the eBay tip - it was very informative. There were actually two Dudleys that went last night that I just missed out on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, yesterday i was in a really bad mood xD. I dont think it wont sell. if not I put it in Ebay. i think u can sell everything there for astronomous Prices. Just saw that a juvenile adrian slack got sold for 50 pounds there. If noone wants it now I will put it for sale again in spring then it will have maybe 20 not 4 pitchers and sell well. I repotted it and theres soil on some of the juvenile growing points, so it doesnt look big. The most greedy thing would be to sell every growing point for 50 pounds as someone did on ebay. But I dont feel like doing that. 

I just dont give things away for free anymore and shipping is alot of work for me and. I gave plants worth alot to someone I know and he hasnt thanked me yet, so No, i will definitely not give away plants anymore for free especially not to strangers.

But I hope noone buys eden black. its just not that nice and theres better clones out there. and someone once had a 9cm hummers pitcher cus he probably grew it under arctic winter Light. (no light at all). But Size isnt everything. Women Know, I know you should know.

That one got its color in a shady position. Under my conditions especially in the summer 'full sun' means  cooked dead plants, so not always the sun is a good idea though ...

This is very true Dimi, I did that last year to a few of my cephs. This year they've been more shaded and have grown much better.
It is true you might not need sunlight for some clones to get dark pitchers, it's just a general belief.
I would love an all green ceph but even my completely shaded plants have red in them.....
Nice photo Dimi, the new green pitchers look great against the dark mature ones...
Even my new growth tends to be red !

This is very true Dimi, I did that last year to a few of my cephs. This year they've been more shaded and have grown much better.

It is true you might not need sunlight for some clones to get dark pitchers, it's just a general belief.

I would love an all green ceph but even my completely shaded plants have red in them.....

Nice photo Dimi, the new green pitchers look great against the dark mature ones...

Even my new growth tends to be red !

This is a job for............

Superfridge

Edited by FredG

I think cephs should.be tissue cultured until they are cheap enough to be an alternative to eating salad.

The Dutch nursery Carniflora have tons T/C  Cephalotus and they are cheap enough...

Lepto, why do u have so negative opinions towards Cephalotus at all? 

That's what I'm talking about Carl. I won't be converting a fridge though Fred.

A fridge holds beer, drink enough of them and you forget you wanted a green ceph anyway

I'm still going with view that it'll take a couple of seasons to go green after a season in the sun....

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun tra-la-la...

• Like 1