How far north does mistletoe grow?

manders

A few years i used to live down south and mstletoe was pretty common in lots of trees. It ccurred to me that in my native cheshire, i've never seen even a single one. Got me thinking why was that? How far north do they grow, and have they been moving further north in recent years? Anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have fresh seed in March maybe weeks earlier, squeeze the little green embryo onto a twig or small branch of a suitable tree with very young smooth bark.

For the species which grows here on leaf trees the following trees are suitable, there is another species which grows on fir or pine it won’t grow on leaf trees.

Apple poplar linden and willow species, not as good is robinia, birch and oak takes very rarely.

After squeezing swaddle some of the sticky snotty stuff which will stick to your finger and the berry around the twig, sometimes you must smear it on. This holds the little embryo in place.

Branches with thicker bark won’t take because the tree has to grow over the little Sucker (sometimes two) which will come out in the first year.

If it has two suckers it looks like a little dark green heart. The seed is in fact a little embryo which needs light for photosynthesis. In the second year will appear the first pair of leafs. The little suckers are now linked to the sap flow of the tree und you wont loose it easily.

Every year there is another doubled set of two leafs at the end of each pair, with a little green stick in between. After seven sets you might expect the first flower. Which is in fact quite easy overlooked. If it’s a female plant you will see developing berries in the summer.

The growing cycle will show you the age of the plant easily.

I did it quite often and have always some success. If you do it now, the rate of taking is much lower, than in February /March. But you will loose two third of the little embryos on average in normal conditions.

If you have branches with berries keep them outside in the sun and cold. Some netting will be advisable or the birds will do the work. ;) 

Usually the birds will start to feed on this berries in February March. This is the optimum time for seeding. Keeping them outside in the cold and sun they will store easily till this time. I have not tried to deep freeze them it might work but I doubt it.

Sorry I am no native speaker and could not do it better.

Edited by partisangardener
  • Like 1