Cephalotus "Big Boy " fall color

dimitar

If I remember correctly 2C.

In the same conditions where some get dark to black color, other plants stay almost green year round. Although the lowest temps in some way encourage the color of the Cephalotus, not all Cephalotus are able to get dark color at low temps, if u ask this...

• Like 1

Several people asked me if I have previous pictures of this plant.  Well, its good that I have them saved in Fb and was able to find some.

The same plant this year in the summer. I have to admit I find Cephalotus "Big Boy" as quite vigorous grower.

12122560_911439805560260_652658893085391

The plant the way and its size I got it last year in the autumn from UK fella.

10639525_737643209606588_438155143536138

Is that what it is Fred?, it's never flowered so I just assumed it was a weed of some sort.

I have a nice Utric that shares a pot with another ceph, that one shows no leaves though, just sends up groups of tiny flowers now and then.

They're just "rogue" anyhow, I've never grown them so they've hitch hiked in with plants I have bought, as have the Drosera.

Oh and Fred, sorry I missed your pic on first read.

I take it that it is partial to a ceph pot then or is it going to end up in everything ?.

It's very pretty when it flowers so I'm not complaining although I don't understand these plants, I always thought they were grown in water.

Chris

That is the infamous Utricularia bisquamata which will seed everywhere in CP pots to a radius of about 3 miles and really if it's in the Cephalotus pots is impossible to eradicate.

I have it in a pot or two but I control it by removing the flower heads completely a few days after it starts flowering. I also have a largish deep saucer outside that is free to do as it will, The last thing I expect it to do is die.

Stephen's cultivar  U. bisquamata  'Betty's Bay' is far superior. The flowers are much larger and it just doesn't seed itself in every CP pot.

7732713768_172b05c267_o.jpg

I control it by removing the flower heads completely a few days after it starts flowering. 

Thank u so much Fred for this solution. That's quite helpful. 

For so many years I have been wondering how to control this.... Much appreciated. Thanks once again  :tu:  

• 2 weeks later...