Sign in to follow this  
Yossu

How important is light during dormancy?

We have an unheated room at the back of our house, which seemed like an idea place to put the plants during dormancy. It gets pretty cold out there in the winter, but is protected from frost and snow, as well as the high winds and heavy rain we seem to get here.

However, it just occurred to me that it doesn't get that much light. Not sure if this is a problem. I put the plants next to the outside door, which is a standard uPVC door with the top half being glass, so they are getting some light, but not as much as they would outside.

Is this OK for them, or should I move them outside and find some other way to protect them?

Thanks

Duh, silly me!

Various VFTs

Drosera Binata
Drosera Capensis
Sarracenia ´Kateřina´ (= leucophylla x purpurea) x leucophylla)
Sarracenia 'Chelsonii' (=purpurea x rubra)
Sarracenia flava var. cuprea x purpurea ssp. purpurea
Sarracenia Maroon (hybrid involving Purpurea)
Sarracenia minor
Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Venosa

Does that help? Thanks

My VFTs and Sarrs get no light and do great. Most spend the winter in my fridge.

• Like 1

I overwinter my sarracenia in an unheated gh. I use a generic shop light on a timer. if I had to guess maybe 8k lumens and the plants are around 3 ft from the light.  I set the timer to mimic the natural day/night cycle. 8k lumens at the fixture is hardly enough to break dormancy.

my way of thinking is to try to emulate what they go through naturally meaning they do still get some light. Only reason I use an unheated gh is because they are in pots and I have had the pots freeze solid leaving them outside and the plants didn't seem as vigorous the following spring. Especially the leuco's. 

Edited by cpbobby
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted the question, I've bought a greenhouse, so I can leave them all in there over the winter.

However, I'm intrigued by your statement that you use lights "to emulate what they go through naturally." If they are in a greenhouse, aren't they already getting that from the daylight? In their natural habitat they'll get less daylight during the winter.

Thanks again

During the winter the extra insulation practically makes my gh dark. 

During the winter the extra insulation practically makes my gh dark. 

Why do you insulate it? The type of Droseras I grow in the greenhouse need the cold in the winter, eg capensis, binata, etc.