Help - Little white bugs in my water tray!

As I was moving some of my plants out into the cold today, I noticed that one of the water trays had quite a few very small insects swimming around at the surface of the water. They were about 1mm long and white.

Due to only having a basic point and click camera, I didn't bother trying to take a picture of them, as it's extremely unlikely it would come out clearly enough.

I threw out the water and washed the tray before bringing it back in, but knowing how resilient most of these little critters are, I doubt that will have got rid of them completely. I can't see any on the plants, but as they are so small, they could be hiding somewhere.

Anyone know what they are, and if they are a problem? Thanks

Depends on exactly what they look like, they could be mosquito larvae if its from rainwater from a water butt or something similiar. But could equally be something else. I get springtails quite often in my soil (ping's seem to love them as they bounce around. Have a look at the two links and see if they're anything like what you have.

Mosquito larvae - 81041478.jpg?w=600&h=600&keep_ratio=1&we

Springtail: springtailculture8.jpg

I've even had nemotodes swimming around in the water I've used before. Hence why its always recommended to wash your hands regularly after handling stagnant water

Thanks to both of your for your replies. I'm not sure they look like either of those pictures, but as it happens, I can't see any now, so it may be I did get rid of them. If I see any more, I'll try and have a closer look. Might see if I can fish one out and get a pic.

Thanks again.

Do they look like small animated baked beans?

Can't say that was my first impression! However, the thought is quite amusing...
baked_beans_song.jpg

If so they are possibly ostracods. Small crustaceans that cause no ill effects that I can see. Decades ago I did a PhD on them so I always welcome them when they appear!

Odd what people do Phds on, eh? I did one on a really pointless and obscure bit of pure mathematics. Gives me the willys when I look at it now!

Anyway, I did a search on ostracods, and I can see what you mean about looking like baked beans! However, that wasn't what I saw. Glad to say that whatever I saw seems to have gone on its holidays, as I haven't seen any more.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

I don't know if I have done right, but I read if you put olive oil

In the top of the water butt that stops mosquitos laying eggs

My water butt is covered as well not seen any mosquitos this year

Thanks, but this is in a water tray, so if I put oil on the water, it would prevent any evaporating, and reduce the humidity. Good idea for a separate water supply though.

I agree with Fred, nowt wrong with free food from your water supplies for your plants, especially if in a greenhouse where its often closed for majority parts of the day during early or late season due to weather.

But then you become food for them when you go to view your plants !

I get a lot of mosquito larvae, probably more so as the plants/ trays have been outside all year.

When I can be arsed I tip the tray water out through a net and collect the larvae, a quick rinse then pop them in my fish tank, the fish go crazy for them.

I also allow daphnia to flourish in my water but and trays for same reason, they are also excellent algae eaters and can turn green water clear again in a day or two...

• Like 1

I managed to get a photo of them, although it's a little blurred, due to them being pretty small, and me only having a point-and-click camera.

Does this help identify them...

151120WhiteBugs.jpg

Thanks again to all who replied.

They look like springtails, which are nothing to be concerned about.

If I could hit the "Like" button twice I would! Once for the info and once for the link to the book advertised under that video. Although I don't have a Kindle, so can't buy the book, it set me off thinking about growing my own springtails, which the turtles would enjoy. If I can catch any, I could feed some to the CPs as well!

Thanks

• 5 years later...