Anyone know what variety of VFT this is?

My first VFT (ignoring the B&Q failures I had as a kid) I bought was from Hants, and was just labelled as a VFT, no variety mentioned. Just trying to organise my grow list, and thought it would be nice to be able to identify it.

So, anyone know what variety this is...

dc000-medium-venus-flytrap-dionaea-musci

(the picture is linked directly from Hant's web site, and any copyright is theirs. The original page is here)

Thanks

That's most definitely Dionaea muscipula.

Thanks Fred. I thought all VFTs were Dionaea muscipula. Are there other types?

I was under the impression that all the various types we see were just cultivated variations of Dionaea muscipula, which is why I asked. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "vanilla" VFT!

Thanks

Yep, there is just the one species - just like homo sapiens, even though there is a number of different colour forms.

That's why I was wondering if the one Hants are selling has a named form. Most I've seen do, in fact all the others on their site do, but this one doesn't. Just wondered if it has a name.

You can only name it "Typical" if it didn't come with a name. Also if a flytrap you purchased looks like some cultivar then you can't just name it like that.

I'm not trying to name it anything, I just wondered if it had one already. Looks like it doesn't!

Thanks

• Like 1

You can only name it "Typical" if it didn't come with a name. Also if a flytrap you purchased looks like some cultivar then you can't just name it like that.

Ahh, no. Sometimes cultivars are available unlabeled. Happens all the time actually. Since they are distinctive, yes you can ID them.

This one is not a cultivar and has a typical wild or seed grown appearance. CP's are awesome, eh? Even the most common varieties are visually stunning!

Edited by Dave Evans