Sign in to follow this  
crowlord

Hi from East Anglia

Hi all, I am one of those newbies ensnared by the garden centre lies!

After picking up a VFT at a GC and having it actually survive on my north facing bathroom window sill and then a Pitcher plant (which I later worked out was a Sarracenia Flava) which also survived I decided that perhaps my thumb was greener then I thought (I HATE gardening with a passion). 

Being an inquisitive sort I did some research and was astounded to find out that these things can survive outside in the UK!!! I am currently accommodating them in a tray in the garden (potted) along with three droseras I picked up from the GC today. 2x Aliciae and a Capensis Alba. They looked very sorry for themselves and for a pound each they seemed worth a punt.

The plan now is to build a dedicated microbog in an old ornamental fountain I have. I will update maybe when thats done. There is plenty of cutting, drilling and planning to do on that one. 

Welcome crowlord hope you will enjoy your new hobby,

I am also new to this game and everyone on here has

Been very helpful with my silly questions, but you learn quick

Hello Crowlord.

Welcome to the forum.  Keep away from those GS's and purchase from the sales forum here. (when you have done your wait time)

Ian.

Hi I'm in East Anglia too Lowestoft, i used to love driving to garden centres where i bought a few plants, cant do that now, good luck with the micro bog, just be sure it doesn't dry out to fast.

Sent from my PMT7177_3G using Tapatalk

Hi Crowlord.

Also from the region (Ipswich). It's a hobby that's addictive with so many plants to choose from. My favourites are Sarracenia purpurea and another which does well outside (northern type). Best of luck with your plants and plans.

Edited by Rob58

Hello and welcome to the forum, it becomes a very addictive hobby, I just started my first outdoor planter this year here's the link to my thread http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55405

Welcome to CPUK.  Those two Droseras you mentioned won't actually survive outside in the UK.  They're for the house or mild greenhouse.

Hi crowLord and welcome, hope you got the drosera in, in time.

Good luck with the micro bog, what's the fountain made of? You will have to line it if it is concrete.

Cheers

Steve