Which peat and which sand?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some peat and sand, as I need more compost for seeds, and I'm planning an outdoor bog garden in the spring.

I've seen a lot of discussion here about various types of peat, and am confused (for a change). I've not found many places that sell the stuff, but did find a local stockist of Clover Irish moss peat, which I think was one of the brands mentioned as being good. Am I right in that, and if not, which brands are good?

As for the sand, what kind should I use? Also, do I need to do anything to it before use?

Sorry if this is an old question, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Thanks

most growers use perlite to mix with their peat.

sand can contain lime,even when it is said to be lime free.Sand also holds on to more water when mixed with peat and can lead to rotting problems in our cold damp winters. I have used sand before but wouldn't use it again.

ada

• Like 2

I use sand and grit and granite grit. I have also used perlite but the spent medium cannot then be used on the garden after repotting so I use it very very sparingly, most often now mixed with live sphagnum when I want to add bulk.

I've never had a problem using horticultural sands, there again I've never had a problem with any of the the peat I've used either. 

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

There are precautions that need to be observed with the use of perlite.

Do not open a bag of dry perlite indoors.

Do not inhale perlite dust , wear a dust mask or work upwind. Damping down with a spray helps too.

• Like 2

I use sand and grit and granite grit. I have also used perlite but the spent medium cannot then be used on the garden after repotting so I use it very very sparingly, most often now mixed with live sphagnum when I want to add bulk.

I've never had a problem using horticultural sands, there again I've never had a problem with any of the the peat I've used either. 

What kind of grit? Do you just mean the stuff you buy from a builder's yard, or is there some specific type for horticulture? I'm a bit reluctant to use perlite, partly because of your warning, and partly because of the cost. I'm planning a bog garden in the spring, and the amount of perlite I would need would be quite expensive. Sand, grit, etc is much cheaper!

Thanks for the reply.

There are precautions that need to be observed with the use of perlite.

Do not open a bag of dry perlite indoors.

Do not inhale perlite dust , wear a dust mask or work upwind. Damping down with a spray helps too.

Thanks for the warning Fred I did not know that, but first time in my 73 years I have worked with Perlite

So know will be careful working with it. Only done one mix so think I will stay alive a little bit longer.

Yossu

You want a Horticultural grit. I use Westland because it's stocked locally @ about £3.99 / 20kg bag. However if you need a large supply for a bog there are horticultural grits and grit sands available in bulk online.

DT

There should be a warning on the perlite bag. No-one ever reads the print on bags though.

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

Perlite...... horrible, nasty, dangerous stuff that also blows everywhere if you so much as fart near it, i stopped using in altogether. Remember though, you don't have to use it, there are alternatives and some people even grow in just 100% peat successfully.

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 1

Perlite...... horrible, nasty, dangerous stuff that also blows everywhere if you so much as fart near it, i stopped using in altogether. Remember though, you don't have to use it, there are alternatives and some people even grow in just 100% peat successfully.

Interesting, thanks.

What would you recommend? I have two things in mind, one is the upcoming bog garden, which will need something suitable for Sarracenias, Drosera and some VFTs (I know, they don't naturally all live together, but I'm an amateur at this and am allowed to do stupid things!), as well as something to use for individual plants either in the house or outdoors.

Thanks

Actually, follow up to Welshy and anyone else in the Manchester or surrounding area. Where do you buy your peat, grit, etc? I can't see to find anywhere that sells it around here. There are a few online places, but they all charge a fortune for P+P.

Hi, I use peat moss 40% from asda. Perlite 40% from b&q and play sand 20% from Argos. My plants are looking great :)

I didn't know Asda sold peat moss! As it happens, I found. a garden centre not too far away (just near Welshy actually, so might pop in and admire the neps!) that sells Clover peat, so I'lll probably get that. Good idea about the play sand though. We already have some, so I might experiment with different mixes.

Thanks

I'm wary of horticulural sand, as I have had some that fizzes when tested with acid, even though it was marked as lime free.

Interesting. What acid did you use to test it?

If it fizzes with vinegar it's no good.

Everybody has their own soil mix, so feel free to experiment. A lot of the plants in the wild actually grow in very sandy soils, but more peat makes it easier to keep them hydrated in cultivation.

I just use 60:40 peat / perlite

• Like 1

If it fizzes with vinegar it's no good.

OK, I'll try that, thanks.

Everybody has their own soil mix, so feel free to experiment. A lot of the plants in the wild actually grow in very sandy soils, but more peat makes it easier to keep them hydrated in cultivation.

I just use 60:40 peat / perlite

From what I've seen, perlite is pretty nasty stuff, so I'm a bit wary of using it. It was suggested to use hoticultural grit instead, which I might give a go.

Thanks again.