How deep a container do I need to plant Sarracenias?

I have seeds for Sarracenia minor and Sarracenia flava var rubricorpora, which were kindly given to me by dimitar. He suggested I sprinkle them onto wet peat/perlite and keep them in the cold over the winter. Apparently they will germinate in the spring.

Well, I'm wondering what to use for them. I will put some in pots, as I am planning an outdoor bog garden in the early spring, so will want some for that, but I was also thinking of growing some indoors. I have the following glazed container, which is about 8.5" across at the top, and 5" deep...

gallery_9429_1002_16865.jpg

Is this deep enough for these plants, or should I get something deeper? If so, how deep will it need to be? I would like not to have to move them more than necessary, so would like to put them in something suitable right from the start.

Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

for seeds your wasting your time and soil using anything deeper than three inches.Sarra seeds grow very slowly and take YEARS to get to adult size.

just google sarra seedlings and look at some pictures.

you seem to ask a lot of questions and change your mind like i change my socks.I understand your in experience but people do get tired of trying to explain things time after time.

You grow in a northern location not far from me,it might be better for you to visit someone in your area and talk to them.

When you see how they grow plants it can explain it far better and put your mind at rest

Take advice from people in your growing area,not from hundreds of miles away,it really can make all the difference.

ada

• Like 1

for seeds your wasting your time and soil using anything deeper than three inches.Sarra seeds grow very slowly and take YEARS to get to adult size.

just google sarra seedlings and look at some pictures.

I don't mind if they grow slowly, it's all part of the fun!

However, if they grow that slowly, then it shouldn't matter if they go in my bowl. Thanks for the clarification.

you seem to ask a lot of questions and change your mind like i change my socks.I understand your in experience but people do get tired of trying to explain things time after time.

I agree I ask a lot of questions, but that's what the forum is for. I'm trying to learn. Do I change my mind a lot? I didn't think so. I'm quite prepared to learn, and admit I'm wrong, so if someone experienced comes along and tells me I'm doing it wrong, then yes I'll change my mind and try to follow the advice, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Maybe you could explain what you mean, as I'm not sure where I've changed my mind so much.

You grow in a northern location not far from me,it might be better for you to visit someone in your area and talk to them.

When you see how they grow plants it can explain it far better and put your mind at rest

Take advice from people in your growing area,not from hundreds of miles away,it really can make all the difference.

Fair point, although most of the people that offered advice seemed to take location into account. It doesn't make any difference for the plants I'm growing indoors anyway, it's only the outdoors ones, which so far is zero. That's all planned for the spring.

I use half size seed trays. I bought four from my local nursery yesterday for 40 pence.

Dave

Yeah, I've got some of those around. Given how slowly they grow, seems it's not so important to start off with a container deep enough for adults.

Thanks
Edited by Yossu

I start them off in the seed trays and then, once they are big enough, transfer them to individual pots. At this point you can start weeding out the promising from the less promising.

Dave

Edited by 3Star
  • Like 1

I start them off in the seed trays and then, once they are big enough, transfer them to individual pots. At this point you can start weeding out the promising from the less promising.

Dave

Ta

ada is right about starting sarracenia seeds in small pots. This year I used plug type seed trays. After a year or so you'll find that seedlings really benefit from transplantation, so when they're 1-2 years old in the Spring separate the seedlings and replant in say 3" pots. As they grow move on to larger pots. Most of my adult plants are in 13cm square pots - they fit nicely in the 54cm square trays.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

ada is right about starting sarracenia seeds in small pots. This year I used plug type seed trays. After a year or so you'll find that seedlings really benefit from transplantation, so when they're 1-2 years old in the Spring separate the seedlings and replant in say 3" pots. As they grow move on to larger pots. Most of my adult plants are in 13cm square pots - they fit nicely in the 54cm square trays.

Best of luck.

We went out and got some peat today (way more than I need, but I'm sure I'll find a way of using it all!), so am going to plant them as soon as I get a minute. I've got some seeds trays around, so will use those. Much easier than mucking around with loads of small plant pots anyway!

Thanks for the reply.